I'm a 46 year old woman whose skin is gradually beginning to show its age. I would very much like to continue looking younger and fresher both for personal reasons and because my job demands a crisp appearance. Because I have not thus far had the need to seek semi-surgical assistance with my skin, I only know a little bit about the options available simply from looking on the internet.

Are there people here who have had experience with dermal fillers? If you have, I would like to hear whether you prefer Botox, Juvederm, Radiesse or another filler and the pros and cons of each.

TIA.

Hi! I have been having a lot of the same thoughts as you. My reading has definitely nudged me in the direction of hyaluronic acid fillers, which I think includes Juvederm, correct? That is because hyaluronic acid is a natural component of the skin and has less potential for harmful side effects as well as an unnatural look. They also last longer than botox from what I have seen so far. Many plastic surgeons prefer hyaluronic acid fillers now for much the same reason, and going for natural ingredients of the skin rather than foreign bodies like botox (a toxin!) makes all the sense in the world to me.

Restylane is another one. That and Juvederm and Radiesse are all hyaluronic acid fillers, which are real popular right now. I'm wanting to say that they last longer and give more natural looking results than botox, but that botox is better for certain things, like if I recall correctly forehead lines? What you want to do though is make an appointment with a plastic surgery clinic that offers rather a few different options and just have a chat about what would be best for you after they get the chance to look at your face and listen to what you are looking for. Different people are gonna have different needs.

I'm a 25 year old with hollow cheeks and temples, which caused me to look much older than I am - not a good look! I was initially interested in juvederm but when I went in for my consultation the surgeon recommended radiesse as the best option and I went with that. The result is amazing and I'm three months in now, hoping to repeat the treatment once the results wear off after about six months. I'm very happy. The bottom line is that different fillers work better for different lines or other problems and different situations. The most important part of your "job" as the consumer is to pick a reputable and experienced surgeon. Everything else, they'll take care of!

Botox is definitely better for deep forehead lines and crow's feet and sunken brows, while juvederm and similar dermal fillers are better for filling sunken areas and lines in the rest of the face. Ultimately you've got to examine what areas of the face are most in need of treatment and ask your surgeon to come up with a treatment plan uniquely suited to you. There's no reason not to have both done in different areas of the face as far as I know. So in short there's no "best" filler, just different best fillers for different areas of the face and for different needs.

Botox is not, in fact, a dermal filler. Dermal fillers are natural or synthetically created natural-ish products that reduce the appearance of wrinkles by plumping the skin up underneath. Botox is a toxin designed to paralyze muscles, reducing the appearance of wrinkles in that way.

Dermal fillers can do a lot of different things, from plumping out wrinkles to filling hollow spaces, providing more voluminous lips, and even fill scars to make them invisible. There is no such thing as best dermal fillers though, as was already pointed out. There is just the dermal filler that is most likely to meet your needs without causing side effects.

My mom, who is 69, just had restylane under her eyes along with radiesse for the cheeks. I'm really liking the results. My mom literally looks 10 years younger thanks to the dermal fillers that she had done. I'm not quite there yet myself, but when the time comes I'll have it done too, even though my mom made it quite clear that the experience wasn't pain free (understatement). She was always someone with a low tolerance for pain though, so I am not sure if it hurts that bad for everyone...

Hi everyone!

I am here too: in my 40s, developing wrinkles I would rather not be seeing, and tentatively looking for ways to at least reduce their appearance, because I do know that it is not possible to turn back the clock or stop it from ticking! The large folds around my lips and the deeper wrinkles on my forehead are what is causing me most distress right now. I rarely even go to the doctor and just thinking about cosmetic procedures like dermal fillers is scary. If I do it, I would like maximum efficacy and minimal invasiveness. Not asking for much, am I?