I am a 53 year old woman who would like to look slightly more youthful. I have been considering gifting myself a cosmetic treatment for my 54th birthday and have read about both mini facelift and botox as procedures that reduce wrinkles and lead to a more youthful appearance. 

As far as I can see, the downside of botox is that its results are temporary, and the downside of a mini facelift is a recovery period and the risks normally involved in any surgery and general anesthesia. Ultimately, I am hoping some readers would be able to tell me which of the two offers the best looking results, aesthetically speaking, for someone my age with moderate wrinkles and sagging. 

Thank you. 

A mini-facelift may carry risks, but the fact that Botox treatment only offers temporary results isn't the only downside of that choice, either. Small numbers of people who receive Botox experience side effects like migraines, nausea, heartburn, high blood pressure, muscle weakness, droopy eyelids, and then there's of course the chance of an over-injected, robot-like facial expression. 

I don't know what I'd do. I'm 39 and visibly getting older now but not quite at the stage where I'd consider cosmetic surgery or treatments yet. I like to think that I'm simply going to be happy with my aging face and body, but I can't claim that with certainty.

Not that I want to over-complicate things, but whether a mini face lift, a full face lift, liposuction of the face, or fillers/botox are the best course of actions for you depends on exactly where your lines are situation and how bad they are. You are best off consulting a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. In general, though, a face lift will give you longer lasting results, which counts for something. As you get older, more invasive procedures work better for your age group.

I have been looking into a mini facelift myself, and though many different opinions exist, always of course with qualifiers that candidates need to be determined after a consultation, most plastic surgeons appear to agree that 55 is around the limit for a mini facelift to be successful on its own. Because this is what I have been reading, I am planning to make an appointment very soon. (I am 49 at the moment, but quite wrinkled.) I would suggest you do the same thing. After the structure of your face permanently changes, things become much more complicated.

Celebrity

Botox can work well for crow's feet, lines between the eyebrows, lines on your forehead, laughter lines, upper lip lines and creases around the chin. Will it have the same effect as a facelift? No, of course not, since skin is relaxed/paralyzed and no excess skin is removed. The results can be expected to last between four and six months and you can expect to pay around $400 per injection if you are in the US. That can add up. A mini facelift costs somewhere up to $6500, by the way, but won't need to be repeated. There are pros and cons to both procedures and a plastic surgeon should help you figure out which is better for you personally.

Rosie

Yes, another vote for "we really can't tell": only your chosen surgeon knows exactly what your skin is like in terms of elasticity, wrinkles, and other factors and can offer you well informed recommendations as to what you would benefit from most. In any case, even if you had your heart set on botox, let's say, if you went in to see a good surgeon and they thought a mini face lift or even a full face lift would serve you better, they would most certainly let you know about that. Cost is always a factor you have to weigh in as well of course.

I am a 58 year old grandmother. I underwent a mini facelift two years ago as I was becoming increasingly unhappy with the way I looked and still wanted very natural looking results. I did not want to look like I had surgery done, just wanted some years taken off my face. The recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I had hoped, my surgeon did a great job and the clinic's aftercare was wonderful. The results? Just what I had hoped for, though it was hard to envision exactly what I would look like before the procedure.

My advice to you is do research the best you can and do not take any steps until you know exactly what you are hoping for and what each procedure can do for you.

Oh, that's so cool that you got a mini facelift and are happy with the results!!! Botox and mini facelifts are really two radically different procedures that shouldn't be compared with one another, aren't they? I mean mini facelifts may hurt and stuff but they last so much longer as well and ultimately do something very different that achieves long term results. Yeah, not that I need either yet but something that sets me up for the next decade or so would defo be my choice as well.