Hello everyone, I'm a bit curious about hypos and what that does to the brain. I've read a few scientific journal articles but they are a bit above my head. However, I see that you can have brain damage after a hypo. I've experienced a number of hypos and I think I'm okay but maybe I'm not. I mean if you have a lot of sort of mild hypos over a long period of time can that affect you as much as having a serious hypo that you have to go to the hospital for or perhaps you even go into seizures or coma. Does anyone know anything about this. I would really appreciate some info on that. Thanks.

Hello, I suppose that accumulated low level hypos (moderate or so) could have their toll over a long period of time, however I'm not really familiar with that. But, if you go into a coma from hypos there is serious brain damage that is permanent. According to the scientific literature, a hypoglycemic coma generates lesions of neocortical neurons in layers 2 and 3, parts of the hippocampus and parts of the putamen in lab animals (rats). This is due to the accumulation of excitatory amino acids and lack of glucose. When neurons are over stimulated that die and without and energy source they also begin to die. Animal models have shown morphological changes in a hypo brain that affect the entire brain function. Extreme hypos cause alkalosis that comes from the ammonia formation from deamination of amino acids, the consumption of metabolic acids and the absence of lactic acid formation. It is believed that the rat models are representative of what happens in the human at least to some extent. It is known that humans that go into coma from hypos have all kinds of problems from permanent brain damage and some remain in the hospital for the rest of their lives on IV. They simply can't get around or function. So, severe hypos are something to be avoided at all costs.