I have terrible nipple pain while and after breastfeeding that I cant stand it anymore. Is this normal? I don’t think so. What can I do to prevent or stop this? I will have to quit breastfeeding soon…I just can’t do it.

I asked around and nipple pain that occurs between feedings or that continues during the entire feeding is not a normal. Most nipple injury results from a poor latch, when the most sensitive part of the nipple tissue is pulled deeply into the baby’s mouth. All I can tell you is to seek for help to correct the latch-on and positioning problems that cause sore nipples and gentle cleansing is good first aid for any cut in the skin surface.

Ask your doctor or lactation consultant to check for a yeast infection, including in your ducts. Yes - bacterial infection of the lactiferous ducts is something that will make you hurt like heck but can show no other symptoms on you or the baby.

Take acidophilus daily. Because I cpuldn't have dairy since it was giving me plugged ducts and not helping the yeast infection, I went to the health food store and got some pills which I take daily. I hurt for 7 months but kept nursing - until I started daily acidophilus supplements. I was so desperate I'd try anything. Since then, I've been painfree.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Check your nipples after nursing- if they become white or bluish (blanching of the nipples) than you most likely have Raynaud's syndrome. This is a vasoconstrictive disease that typically affects hands and feet but is sometimes present in the nipples, especially in the cold or on nursing. The treatment is Procardia XL 30 mg daily- your gyn or a cardiologist should prescribe this for you- harmless to your baby and very helpful to you!! Good luck.