Hi, I have a fish tank at my home. My fish are well taken care of. I change their water and feed them regularly. There hasn’t been a single thing wrong with them. Yesterday I saw a TV show that scared me a bit. It was about fish problems. They have mentioned something about brown blood disease. Can you tell me something about this condition?

Hi, brown blood disease is a serious condition. It occurs when there is a high level of nitrite in the water. Nitrite gets in the water trough waste. Usually, it is converted to harmless nitrate by bacteria. Nitrite is absorbed in the blood trough the gills. When that happens, blood turns to chocolate-brown color. Hemoglobin, which is responsible for transporting oxygen trough the body, interacts with nitrite and forms methemoglobin. Methemoglobin is not capable to transport oxygen. As a result, brown blood can not carry sufficient amount of oxygen and fish can suffocate. Brown blood disease happens in areas where there isn’t adequate amount of filtration. Therefore, install fish tank water filters and there shouldn’t be a problem.