i work in an automotive factory and when i wake up in the morning my fingers are stiff and swollen but as the day progresses the pain and swelling go away. the pain is mostly in my left hand but im right handed. any suggestions?

Don't know, but had similar symptoms that came at the same time my thyroid was going haywire. Good luck.

I've been having the exact same thing happen to me. At first it was my toes doing it, but now it's just my fingers. I'm 23/F....so it's not because I'm old. I've been to doctors, had my blood sugar & pressure tested, tested for arthritis and it's all come back fine. Surprise Surprise, didn't really think I'd have problems with those at 23, but noboby knows what it is. I've cut back on salt and it still does it. The best guess I've come to lately is poor circulation while I'm sleeping, so since noboby else can figure it out I'm trying some things on my own. I went to GNC and got the herb Cayenne Pepper, it's says on the bottle to aid with digestion, but I was told it increases your blood flow. So I've been taking one of those before I goto sleep at night, and I'll still wake up with swollen fingers...but their not so swollen that they hurt.

I have experienced somewhat the same thing in the last month or so. I wake up in the morning with somewhat swollen fingers and stiffness in them. Also, my fingers feel like they are asleep part of the time. I don't understand why one day this all of a sudden started. Except for the uncomfortable feeling of fingers feeling asleep, once that part stops, there is really not pain. It just concerns me because this is not normal. I thought the same thing as many of you... problems with circulation, too much salt in the diet, possible carpal tunnel syndrome, but I really don't think any of those are the reasons. For possible poor circulation, I raise my hands above my head to get the blood moving in my hands... and then to reduce the swelling, I soak my hands in cold water for 10 minutes ... and I really don't think I eat too much salt, because I don't add salt to very much food that I prepare. So if anyone has any ideas... I'd appreciate any possible thoughts.. Thanks.

i'm been having the same problem since i started a new job...i figured it was bad circulation, running my hands under hot water in the morning seems to get the blood flowing properly...

im having that exact problem! its only been happening fir the past 2 wees or so and it came on all of a sudden. did you ever find out what is causing it?

I started working as a hospital housekeeper. I do a great deal of mopping. Sometimes I don't even realize how hard I'm gripping the mop. Two weeks after I started working I would wake up with swollen hands. I could barely close them and make a fist. As the day progressed the swelling would lessen. I am also in my early fifties and have a great deal of hot flashes. I sweat profusely during these hot flashes. I have a tendency to believe my swollen hands are caused by dehydration and carpal tunnel syndrome. I don't have high blood pressure but I do eat a high salt diet. I also know I that I don't drink enough water.

the exact same thing has been happening to me. i have not experienced rapid weight gain, and i have 13 different blood tests done. everything came back negative. and i still have not figured out what is causing this. everyone always tells me that its because of my salt intake, but i do not really take that much. someone please help. :/ ?

I've been having stiff, sore fingers in the mornings for a couple of months now. I finally went to the doc about it, and he said there are several types of arthritises. He said osteoarthritis would involve the middle and end joints of the fingers, and may disappear as suddenly as it showed up. He said rheumatoid arthritis would involve the middle and base joints of the fingers, and the wrist. He sent me for blood tests, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I have also read that blood tests are not necessarily definitive. I'm only 45. He said there are many theories about whether diets, etc. can help, but he hasn't seen any proof that they do. It's still worth a shot to me.

Anonymous wrote:

Chelb wrote:

hey everyone, im having the same issues.... tight joints in my fingers with a slight swollen feeling. I know i have been doing alot more manual labour over the past month and could be from that. Im only 28 yrs old and refuse to accept the fact i have some kind of arthritis. I eat farily healthy with low salt intake. Ive noticed if im on a heavy smoking weekend or not drinking as much water the pain is more intense in the mornings. Im going to try a few more things and would like to keep this discussion going b/c its a really annoying pain. One thing I did notice worked that when I managed to sleep on my back with my hands outside the blankets it prevented me from curling my fists up in a tight ball which I think can make the mpain worse in the mornings. Try it out. Anyone else with some tips would be great to hear from ya....

Quite a lot of time I wake up and different limbs will feel as though I have sprained them. Today for instance, I have had to be sent home from work because my wrist is giving me agony, my hand is swollen and almost incapacitated. But I can guess that by tomorrow my hand will feel fine. Its very weird.

For the other people it may be that the body has experienced damage during the hard work. I've been helping a mate do some foundations for a wall that had to be dug into sandstone. When I wake up in the morning my hands are stiff. But with hot flushes I really think you should get checked out for rheumatoid arthritis.

I am having the exact same problems as Chelb. A month or so ago various toes on both feet would randomly swell up and feel really tight. I wear normal shoes, didn't have any injuries, have moderate salt intake, and am 22/F. Then this week, my fingers have started to swell up. I noticed it yesterday my thumb on my right hand seemed swollen at and above the end joint. Kind of like a callous but on the wrong side for a bike callous. This morning I woke up and my middle finger on my right hand was pretty swollen. especially around the middle joint. It still is. It's not painful but it's uncomfortable and I can't think of what would cause it. I do have a desk job so I use my mouse all day, but that wouldn't explain my toes being swollen.

In 1995, I had this issue with my fingers. I would wake up with swollen painful fingers. I had it for three years and visitied several doctors during that time. I had all kinds of test ran, including rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. The physician and labs never pinpointed the problem, and all the tests were negative.

In 1998, I visited a chiropractor. He identified a problem with a misalignment in the vertebrae in my neck, on the initital visit. After three weeks of adjustments, of a couple visits a week, the painful, swollen fingers in the morning completely dissappeared, and have never returned.