I have a friend whose mother is diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. She told me it is a malignancy or cancer of lymphoid tissue. Usually it could be found in the lymph nodes, spleen, liver, and bone marrow. I found this disease scary and terrible, so I want to find out more about it. Can you tell me causes and symptoms of Hodgkin’s lymphoma?

Lymphoma Hodgkin's, Hodgkin's disease, cancer Hodgkin's lymphoma are synonyms for this disease. The first sign of this cancer is often an enlarged lymph node, which appears without some known cause. The disease can spread to adjacent lymph nodes and later may spread outside the lymph nodes. It usually spreads to the lungs, liver, bones, or bone marrow. As I already told you, the cause is not known. The incidence is 2 in 10,000 people, which is telling us this is rare condition. Hodgkin's lymphoma happens the most commonly among people 15 to 35 and 50 to 70 years old. Painless swelling of the lymph nodes in the neck, armpits, or groin, fatigue, fever and chills are common symptoms of Hodgkin’s disease. Patients also complain about night sweats, weight loss, loss of appetite, and generalized itching. These days we have very good tests so good at detecting the spread of Hodgkin's lymphoma, so surgery is usually unnecessary. With appropriate treatment of Hodgkin’s disease, more than 80% of people will survive for at least 10 years.