In September '08 I had a kidney stone for the first time. Since then I have had a chronic mild (but very aggravating and unpleasant) burning sensation in the tip of my penis. The sensation is similar to having an urgent need to urinate. I don't experience any pain when urinating or ejaculating, and an MRI scan several weeks after the kidney stone episode indicated that the stone had passed. The sensation is intermittent; some days I experience it, other days no. Initially I thought the sensation was related to passing grains of the kidney stone, but it's been five months and the sensation persists. I'm married, monogamous, and STD-free. I appreciate any help you can offer.

David , there are several possibilities. If you have a small stone or residual gravel still present in the lower ureter, it often can give this sensation. Although kidney stones typically produce pain, sometimes the only symptom of a lower ureteral stone is frequency and burning in the penile tip. Another possibility unrelated to the stone would be prostatitis, an inflammation of the prostate gland. Symptoms that might occur with prostatitis include frequency of urination, slowing of the urinary stream, burning with voiding or ejaculation, burning in the penile tip unrelated to voiding, sexual dysfunction (such as difficulty with erection), aching in the penis, testicles, and discomfort in the lower abdomen, low back, groin, rectum or perineum (the area between the scrotum and rectum – betwixt the “wind and the rain”). The passage of blood at the initiation or termination of urination or in the semen can also be noted. During sexual arousal the prostate gland manufactures fluid that accounts for about 2/3 of the volume of ejaculate. The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that also manufacture fluid. Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2% of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts. These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra. At the time of ejaculation, prostatic fluid is discharged into the urethra (urinary canal) where it mixes with discharge from the ejaculatory ducts forming the semen. The semen volume is in the 2-6 cc range. It is not uncommon for inflammation and/or infection to spread in a retrograde manner into the vas and epididymis. Even without such spread, prostatic discomfort is?often referred into the testicle. Too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, withdraw at the time of ejaculation, aggressive bike or horse back riding, and excessive spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine in the diet can predispose you to this. Sitting for long periods of time, especially in an automotive vehicle, can put undo pressure on the prostate and aggravate the condition. For the latter, it is best not to sit more than 2-3 hours at a time. Stop the vehicle periodically, take a short walk and go to the bathroom to urinate. A thick pad or piece of sponge rubber on your seat will also help to cushion the prostate. One should avoid any of the above that apply. Eliminating all of the factors that apply to you are just as important, if not more so, than taking medication! Ejaculation beyond the tolerance of the prostate to fill and empty may also cause discomfort. Likewise if one does so infrequently, fluid still builds up from thoughts, dreams, fantasies, etc. and has to be released periodically to decompress the gland and relieve the symptoms. For most men, ejaculation in moderation, perhaps 1-2 times a week, is reasonable. A daily warm bath for 10-15 minutes 1-2 times daily also lessens the discomfort. Attention to sexual activity and warm bathes should be utilized regardless of the type of prostatitis and whether or not medications are prescribed!
There are several types of prostatitis. Sometimes prostatitis can be due to an infection of the gland with bacteria. This usually requires an initial 4 week course of an appropriate antibiotic (the commonest prescribed are the fluoroquinolones, but tetracyclines, sulfas and other agents can also work). Typically, pus cells and bacteria are found in the prostatic fluid.
Abacterial prostatitis has several varieties. In one, the prostatic fluid demonstrates pus cells but no bacteria. In the other, called prostadynia, there are neither pus cells nor bacteria in the fluid, just the symptoms. In all types of prostatitis, the urinalysis generally is normal unless the infection spreads into the bladder. Abacterial prostatitis usually responds to the general measures mentioned above. Medications that sometimes help include the over-the-counter natural supplement saw palmetto 320 mgm daily and alpha-blockers (such as Flomax, Hytrin, Cardura & Uroxatral). The latter require a prescription from you physician if he thinks it is indicated. Prostatitis may also be classified as acute (severe), subacute (mild), or asymptomatic. It may also occur as a single episode, be recurrent or chronic. Therefore, if symptoms persist, consultation with a urologist should be scheduled. In cases with recurrent prostatitis or hematuria, it sometimes is necessary to study the urinary tract. A man should learn to listen to his body. Good luck!?

Thank you so much for the detailed reply as this completely answered my current issue regarding post kidney stones...

Regards,

Steve

Hello everyone the time and date is 10:13 pm Iv been notcing samll buring after pissing. I do not feel the pain of the stones but something black when i pissed came out and i do belive the stone cut the inner side of my penis to make such buring sensation.  i have yet to find out what it is at 1st i thought it was a std and i realyl wanted to hit a b***h but after drinking some water the burring is actuly less and less like its not even there. I know that its stil tere but its not a std and thats a big good feeling :) i know that when  i pissed this last time it was the size of a grain i kid you guys not this isnt no joke It miht git bigger i dk but basses on thsi dudes sotry its like the same thing i ahve going on so this has helped me alot im sorry for all my misspeels just yes Drink water it helps! i alwso wasnt drinking water alot i mean never and was lots of coke and coffie thats when this started so in that case :) that kinda point it out laters

having similar symptoms. did this ever pass for you?

Wow helped me too exact same issues I have post surgery

This was the best answer i ever seen on the web and i am searching for over a year for this. Thank you!

David1965105460 did you ever figure out what the cause for those symptoms were? I have the same symptoms and I recently have passed a kidney stone.