Hi, I have been weight lifting for more than two years. I enjoy this activity, but I have recently started to have some problems. It seems like I don't have enough energy to go through the entire workout. A friend from the gym has suggested I try caffeine pills. He says that they have helped him a lot when he had a similar problem. What do you think about caffeine?

Hi, I am a great fan of caffeine, but only in my cup of coffee in the morning. I do not approve of caffeine used as a doping. When you take those caffeine tablets that is exactly what you are doing. Caffeine is the drug mostly used in the world. This means that people are addicted to it and can have pretty bad withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking it. However, regardless to all this, caffeine can help you stay awake and prepped if you take it in normal amounts. The caffeine in the pills is present in concentrations that are much higher than it is healthy. It may help you in the beginning, but you are actually endangering your health. Your heart is in greatest danger. So if you feel you do not have enough energy, maybe you should try changing your diet or your workout routine and not resort to doping effects of caffeine.