I have noticed that during hard weeks of training I have trouble getting to sleep. It isn't that I am not tired but I just can't fall asleep. Usually towards the end of that week, I will wake up in the middle of the night covered with sweat. As if I just broke a major fever. This happened again last night. However this time I am just coming off of a rest week and a day off. My workout yesterday was an intense hill workout one but overly intense. Anyone ever experience this? Just curious as to why this keeps happening.
BTW, this also happening when I first quit smoking, but then I just thought it was due to the lack of nicotine. Also I did have a lot of vitamins after the workout. A few bowls of Kelloggs Smartstart (which has 100% of about 14 vitamins and minerals per serving), and an Endurox R4 recovery drink, which is also loaded with antioxidants.

What do you feel like in the morning? Are you rested or still whooped?

I don't feel well rested, but I don't feel whooped either.

That happens to me sometimes and I have no idea why. I know it didn't happen before I started exercising regularly. But that is the only thing I have it narrowed down too.:shrug:

You drinking a lot of caffeine throughout the day or near bed time?

Hi

I get this too after intense exercise, not the night of the exercise, but the night after. Sometimes I have to lay down a towel when I get back into bed, as it's too damp to get comfortable.

I only have 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day now, the second usually being just after lunch, not near bed time.

None of Kate Smith's answers are applicable to me. Google suggests hormones the thyroid gland creates to burn extra fuel could be the cause. At present, I can deal with the sweating, but I'm hoping it goes away as my body becomes more accustomed to it's new regime, but if anyone has any ideas on how to alleviate the symptoms, that would be great. I already sleep unclothed and a cold room, so I'm certainly not simply overheating.

Will that cause it? I used to drink a lot of caffeine but have cut down. Come to think of it, it hasn't happend a lot lately.

If I have one caffeinated beverage a day that is a lot and never after 4pm. I am wondering if it is related to working out at or near my Max Heart rate???

Night sweats could be casued by anything. I get night sweats almost every single night, regardless of the weather or temperature. It's just me. And, I think you know my training schedule is not quite like yours right now. Having troubles getting to sleep is another thing. that may be workout related.

I did some searching and couldn't find anything that related training to night sweats. All of the ailments that it linked it to were severe (except for pregnancy). Do a Google search for "Sleep Hyperhidrosis" and you'll see what I mean.

I get them too. It's been worse since I got a mono-type virus last year.

They seem to be more common if I

1) haven't been exercising as much as usual (maybe because my body is used to sweating out more fluid and this is how it makes up?)

or

2) I am fighting off something (between the two of our jobs I think we are exposed to more c**p in the form of colds/flu, etc)

This disorder has been reported in association with diabetes insipidus, hyperthyroidism, pheochromocytoma, hypothalamic lesions, epilepsy, cerebral and brain stem strokes, cerebral palsy, chronic paroxysmal hemicrania, spinal cord infarction, head injury, and familial dysautonomia. It also can occur in pregnancy and can be produced by the use of antipyretic medications. Excessive sweating can be seen in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, presumably because of the associated autonomic disturbance.

It seems that there are many reasons that could be causing this (did a quick web search), stress for one. Also, training hard increases your basal metablic rate for up to 48 hours, so even after training your body is burning more calories than normal. Overall, I notice that I sweat more, both during physical activity and when I'm not working out. I especially notice this on long run days. I feel hot all day and at night I can't use the normal amount of covers I'd use or I'll wake up with a night sweat. I think it's all due to the increased activity, at least in my case, and never really worried about it. I've also awoken to horrible cramps in my legs and feet.