I was running on the treadmill at lunch today and my shins are usually a little touchy for the first part of the run but settle down and let me go about my business after the first mile or so.

So today my shins decided to cramp (?) and I had to stop after 2 miles. It was the weirdest feeling. It's like my lower leg was growing in girth. The skin felt stretched. I got off the treadmill and tried to stretch a little, but that didn't help.

I ended up canning the run and lifting instead. :| My shins feel fine now (1 hr. later).

Anybody else ever have this problem?

FWIW - I'm a frequent cramper in the pool. My arches, calves and sometimes hamstrings will cramp while swimming.

well, I have to admit......I've never heard of shins cramping PH. But because the sheath covering that area is thin....I'd be icing it, even though you said it felt better afterwards.

Shins and treadmills are a weird combo. I've never had shin splints in my life, yet I get a little pain when I'm on the mill.

How old are your shoes PH? From my other post, you know I'm paranoid about the treadmill. Lately, I've been keeping one pair relatively fresh for treadmill running. Not too mention, a cleaner pair looks better in the fitness center than my normal grass stained, dust covered, mud clinged, multi-hundred mile pairs.

jrjo - The shoes have <100 mi. on them. Run on the treadmill in them before, but today was just the weirdest shin pain.

i have recently learned that a dehydrated system cramps in very odd places. maybe you need to add a quart or two??

i've also learned that stretching a muscle, mid-cramp, can really do damage. i'm positive everyone's done this -- i think that is what did me in--stretched my cramped up calf and it resulted in some tearing of muscle tissue...

That maybe one of the reasons that happened. I didn't drink my usual amount of water before heading to the gym.
I think I'm going to try again for a short distance tomorrow morning.

I get shin cramps too! Most people say they are shin splints, but I have had those in the past, and these are not the same. I have been asking everyone, and no one seems to really get what I mean when i say they cramp. I get to the point that I can't lift my foot/toes, my lower leg front legs so tight. I do not get them often, but enough to want to figure out what to do about them. I personally think that they are worst when I run after wearing heals. I very seldom to never have the problem in the early morning runs, only in the noon hour or evening runs. I am still trying to figure out what to do about them. Since there is no consistency to when they happen, it makes that difficult. Most of the time when I sense them coming on, I walk it out and i can finish my run. And I can run the very nex tday and feel nothing..very wierd stuff :-) If you can figure out what to do about them, I would love to hear!

Good post! I plan to move into this stuff after I’m done with school, as most of it is time consuming. It’s a great post to reference back to. My blog needs more time to gain in popularity anyway.

this is EXACTLY what happens to me! I am clueless as to why, or "what" it is... ugh! Have you found a common cause or solution??