Hi everyone,

Like it is written above, I'd like to know what are Ectopic heartbeats and how do you treat them?

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with these Ectopic heartbeats and neither one of us knew anything about this matter. As far as I know, his doctor told him that this means that he has an irregular heart rhythm that is happening due to his premature heartbeat. Besides this, his doctor also told him that this isn't dangerous but it needs to be treated.

He arranged to meet another time to talk about his treatment options and before that happens, I wanted to ask you about these Ectopic heartbeats and if you know how can one treat them?

Hi Adria,

My father is suffering from this condition so I can give you some more info about it.

There are two different types of Ectopic heartbeats and these are premature atrial contraction and premature ventricular contraction. In the first case, the irregularity comes from the upper chambers of the heart and in the second case, it comes from the lower chambers of the heart.

Actually, this condition doesn't require any treatment in most cases. The symptoms will usually resolve on their own. However, if the symptoms become more severe, his doctor will base his treatment on the underlying cause. My father is using beta blockers from time to time.

Hi you two,

I agree with Bee, this condition requires no treatment at all (at least not in most cases).

I was diagnosed with ectopic heartbeats five years ago, I was terrified when I got the test results. I went to see my doctor and he could see that I was really upset about it. But he told me that I have nothing to worry about and that this would resolve by itself. And it happened exactly like he said. One month later I went to do the same test again and the results didn't show any signs of me having ectopic heartbeats anymore.

Hi everyone,

Well, in most cases this doesn't require any treatment. But in case it does, you will probably be prescribed with some beta blocker medications.

Now, if you have some sort of a heart disease, you might have to have some procedure done, your doctor would probably suggest angioplasty in which a balloon is used to open a narrowed blood vessel, or he could suggest that you have a bypass surgery. 

These treatment options are rare as the symptoms of ectopic heartbeats are always barely noticeable and are not dangerous for the person who is having them, however, sometimes they become severe.

Hey. Ectopic heartbeats are irregular heartbeats which can cause variations in the normally regular pulse. This is a condition that refers to both – skipped heartbeats and extra heartbeats. When you are saying symptoms – you can feel them definitely. You can feel some fluttering in your chest which can be spread to your neck for example. Also you can feel it when you are lying in your bed. The treatment is different from person to person. Medications or beta blockers can help you in this case. Good luck. You need to know that ectopic heartbeats are not dangerous if you are well with your health.

Hello everyone,

I think that everyone has problem with it. Those are actually very small heart changes or changes in heartbeats. Everything else is normal, but those changes can scare person because they can lead to extra or skipped heartbeats but they are usually very harmful.

There are some types of treatment which are helpful, but before your doctor determine what the treatment is best for you, you can do something alone. For example, you should limit caffeine, tobacco or alcohol and you should exercise as well.

Usually there is no some special way to treat it but you can help yourself with this.

Hey, I think that you sound really worried about your heartbeats. Well, when you are worried about something like that you should really contact your specialist and he will tell you what the proper diagnosis is. Those are just extra beats that makes your heart jump a bit irregular, time after time. True, they can be dangerous but they can also be harmless and nothing serious. They can’t damage your heart. I am almost sure that everyone, even the professional sport players have them, if not all the time they do have them occasionally.

Have a nice day.

Hi there. There are no some special and specific treatment for ectopic heartbeats. If they don’t cause any unpleasant symptoms or effects to you, there are actually a few things that you can do to eliminate it – other people told you what you need to do. I am not sure did anyone mentioned drugs – well, you should also avoid some type of them and you should ask your doctor about it. Now, if you have a lot of symptoms and if they are persistent all the time, you should seek for the therapy. Generally, the doctor would give you some medications such are beta – blockers or calcium channel blocker.