Hello, good people. I was hoping to find out something and perhaps someone here can help me. My mother and her mother suffer from diabetes and I must admit that I am little afraid that I might have the same disease. Is it possible for diabetes to be inherited? I would really appreciate your replies.

Hi, there. It depends on which diabetes your mother and grandmother have. Type 2 shows stronger genetic predisposition. It doesn’t mean you will inherit diabetes directly. It only means that you have more chance to inherit it than a person with no family members with this disease. Type 2 diabetes usually appears with people older than 30. You should ask your mother and grandmother when their disease started. Then you will have the orientation which type they have. You can check your blood sugar level as well. I hope I’ve helped you a little.