Hello, folks. I have been told by the doctors that my baby has ABO incompatibility. I hear that this can cause jaundice, so I wonder what the chances are for my baby to become jaundiced because of this condition of hers. I hope someone will know to answer me this. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. You shouldn’t worry a lot. In most cases ABO incompatibility does not require treatment. If the jaundice appears, then your baby will get phototherapy. Since your baby and you have different blood types, your antibodies are present in your baby’s blood. These antibodies are attacking her red blood cells. In this way, there is a lot of bilirubin that is made. If it cannot be eliminated properly, then jaundice appears. Liver is the main organ for eliminating bilirubin. Since it is still not mature in some babies, it cannot be eliminated fast. I hope this helps. Bye!