Can an iron deficiency make you gain weight?

A lack of an adequate amount of Iron can lead to an Iron deficiency which can lead to a form of anemia a condition where the blood lacks a healthy amount of red blood cells, that carry oxygen to tissues. Oxygen in the blood gives the body energy and the skin healthy coloring. Having anemia can make you look pale and feel fatigued. The body needs Iron to produce hemoglobin which allows red blood cells to carry oxygen. Your doctor can perform a blood test to determine if you suffer from an Iron deficiency, you should also consult your physician about proper nutrition and weight concerns especially if you are over weight.

Iron is very important part of our body and we need it in fair amount so that our body can function normally. Our blood cells depend on iron. If your body doesn’t have enough iron you will notice changes in the weight. But the change won’t be that you gain weight, you will probably lose weight. One of the most noticeable symptoms of iron deficiency in body is weight lose. Many doctor suggest the patients who wish to gain more weight, to have more iron in their body.
Have you tested your blood for iron deficiency? If you are gaining weight this might be from some other cause and not from iron deficiency in your body.

Good luck.

Hi guys. I am also interested in this topic hence my girlfriend is having the same issue. She is losing weight rapidly and I don't seem to know if it's because of iron deficiency or what else. I am not sure and would appreciate if someone explained this further in comments. Also, what I want to ask is does iron deficiency cause you to be cold because she seems to have cold feet and hands pretty much all the time. If you already know your diagnosis, than you know what to do, if not, I would strongly advise you to go and see your doctor.

I realize this post is 6 years old however there have been some new studies conducted and I believe you will fine the results enlightening. I've included the link for your information.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use