I am 14 years old, and have recently come across a very painful left nipple, when any pressure is applied, even just touching it. I have recently found a lump UNDER the nipple, which is very close to my skin.

I am sure it isnt cancer, looking at symptons, and just want advice.

Thanks

It could be a cyst of some kind. But just to be sure, you should see your family doctor. It could become infected (even if you don't do anything to it) or get bigger or be something more serious. Both men and women can have problems with their breast tissue, including the nipple.

Also, you say it isn't cancer, and you are young for that to be a concern. However, breast cancer has a really wide range of symptoms, and there are cases of young people with cancer, including a 12-year-old girl who hadn't started to get her periods yet. Young men can also get breast cancer. According to www.youngsurvival.org, "Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in women ages 15 to 54."

If your doc says that you are "too young for breast cancer", but doesn't offer an alternative diagnosis, see another physician and push for a test such as a sonogram, MRI, surgical biopsy, or other test. Get your parents to do the same. Young women have denser breast tissue than older women, so a mammogram can miss problems.

Of course, if your doc says that it's a cyst that can be removed, do so! The cyst can be checked at a lab to make sure it's no big deal. I have had a cyst removed (and several precancerous skin lesions; yay for all that suntanning as a teenager ) , and it's not a big deal. The idea of what's going on is worse than the surgery, honestly. Take along an iPod or CD player if you want to distract yourself during the procedure.

Please do see a physician! Unexplained lumps on your breast are something to have checked. Most aren't a big deal, but in the event that it is something serious, you need to start treatment ASAP!

Best wishes,

Jynx
(Who's 37 and just realized that she probably sounds like a mom. Sorry about that. But do see a doctor, please.)

When i had this as a teenager i was told it was a normal growth bud,but if you are worried go to your doctor for a check up.

The same thing is happening to me so i asked my dad about it and he said that it is normal for teenage boys and that it happened to him too.

knd563

I myself had the same problem, a year ago, and I'm 16. During puberty, males can have imbalances in estrogen levels, which I had. This can account for the swelling under the nipple. If you are worried, see a doctor. It probably isn't serious, mine when away after about a month.

Thank God!
I was kinda worried as I, too have one. XD

:cry:
i have dis big nipples problem from a six monthss...guys please reply..my own sis cant stop seeing der..and im in depression..sumtimes i feel like cuttin dem out!!

Hello, I'm a fourteen year old teenager that has a lump in my left nipple.
I'm pretty scared about it and I do not want to have surgery.
What should i do?

Hi I'm 14 and both my nipples are puffy and they have a fat disk behind themand they hurt with the slightest touch and honestly I'm scared and don't know what to do can you please help me you can email me at please help thanks.

i also have a lump under my left nipple which keeps appearing, they gave me tablets and said it was a cyst that would go if i took them, but i was allergic to the tablets and was sick and never bothered to let the drs no. it has appeared again and a lot more painful i am really worried! help!

Hello i am 13 years old and my b'day is in july, i have a lump under my left and right nipple, i havent told my mum and dad or gone to seen a doc. I am very scared that it might be cancerous please reply to reassure me :'(

Hello i am also a 14 year old boy and i have puffy and elongated nipples. SOME of the time. I am not sure if it is caused by anything
or if it will go away within a few months. The only problems i have with these "puffy" nipples is that they cause self esteem issues and i dislike taking my shirt off in public i am 5'7 and 120 and do not have a bit of fat anywhere else in my body. Someone must no the answer because we all keep asking.please help! THANKS

dont wory about how it looks because the lumps arent actually as visible as you mite think
Also tel your parents and DONT WORY about the lumps its just puberty but do get it checed out so u can be 100% that your fine

Ahh... thank goodness.. i have it a little bit under my nipple , its kinda red and swollen ...
i dont wanna be stressed cause im still 12

Im 13 and i have a lump under my left nipple, i was pretty freaked, every time i toutch it i felt this lump under....and when i read all your comments i felt much better :-P ....Thx for your comment or i would have had panic to much :-D !