Could you please tell me if LIPOSARCOMA is the same thing as a FATTY TUMOR? I have had these all my life. First one removed at the age of 19. I am 58 now and my arms and legs are covered with them. I was told they will never turn in to cancer but when they start hurting me so badly that I can't stand it....I have them removed anyway.

Please tell me if this is the same thing.

Thank you
Karen

Are Liposarcoma and Fatty tumor the same thing? Well, all liposarcomas are fatty tumors, but not all fatty tumors are liposarcomas.

What you most likely have are lipomas. A lipoma is a slow-growing, fatty tumor situated between the skin and the muscle layer. Often a lipoma is easy to identify because it moves readily with slight finger pressure. It's doughy to touch and usually not tender. You could have several that persist for years. Lipomas can occur at any age, but they're most often detected in middle age.

A lipoma isn't cancer and is usually harmless. Treatment generally isn't necessary, but if the lipoma is in a bothersome location, is painful or is growing, it should be removed.

There's a very small chance that a lump resembling a lipoma may actually be a form of cancer called liposarcoma. Liposarcomas — cancerous tumors in fatty tissues — grow rapidly, don't move under the skin and are usually painful. A needle biopsy or a CT scan is typically done if your doctor suspects liposarcoma.