Hello everyone.

It seems to me that my cat is going through huge pain in a last couple of days. I don’t know is this happening because of all those weather changes. I believe that this is a cause because cats are just like people. My lovely Persian cat was diagnosed with arthritis. I never had this kind of problem with her but now I do. I was reading something on the internet and I found that aspirin can help relieve pain. What do you think about this? Should I try it or is it much better to consult my vet about this issue?

Tnx in advance!

Asprin is not good for cats at all. It can cause gastric ulcers among other health issues. If you are looking for relief for your cat's joint pain, I recommend going with a natural supplement. There are many out there, but I've used this specific product on my oldest cat who is 18 and now he's running up and down the stairs and jumping up on the kitchen counters again.

Hope this helps!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hey everyone.

Well Guest, I think that aspirin can be used but not without your vet prescription, right?

Maybe I am wrong but I could swear that I was reading it somewhere. Buffered aspirin you can use, but if you really gonna do it, please do it with a great care.

Just use it under the direct supervisions by your vet – do not do this alone. NO WAY, it is dangerous.

You need to know that cats are really sensitive to aspirin and the dose should be limited to every other day.

Of course, I will repeat just one more time – nothing without your vet.

Don’t you dare to give it to your cat all by yourself!

Um, yes. But you shouldn't use aspirin.

And here is how I know. My best friend, who has a dog and a cat too, went to talk to this vet who works in a vet clinic down town.

She went mainly to ask him about her dog’s arthritis and about what can she give him to release his pain. The vet mentioned aspirin and she asked- ‘’isn’t that forbidden for dogs?’’ And he told her, it’s ok when you are advised to do so by a vet, but this doesn’t apply to cats, never give aspirin to cats because they don’t handle it well.

No way.

NO WAY! Please, avoid aspirin. Maybe it can help your cat but it can make a lot of damage for her as well.

My ex boyfriend is a vet and once he told me that some guy got fired from their work because he gave a lot of aspirin to customer’s cat . Somebody told him that this can relieve pain in cats.

I don’t remember what was going on with this cat lately but I know that she has some health issues. He gave her a lot of aspirin and he let them to go home.

I would not give it to a cat even if the vet is there and if he controls it.

Honestly, me neither. I normally respect vet's decisions very much and I try not to interfere in his job cause he certainly has more experience than me and even when something seems completely illogical to me, I always think that he has a good reason for doing that.

But if I were in a situation where my vet suggests me to give my cat aspirin (knowing that there are so many other medications that can help) I would ignore it and possibly change the vet.

There is no place for laziness and not caring when it comes to my cat’s health.

Hey everyone.
First, thank you so much. Second, I went to see my vet. He told me that in some normal circumstances my cat can receive aspirin because it is going to help her to beat the pain. I asked him what is going to happen next and he told me that she will be under his control for the next 24 hours and that she can go home with me after this. But now I really don’t know what to do. I am thinking to tell my vet that this is mistake. But I am afraid of his reaction :/ I am confused a lot.

Hello. In my opinion you should not do that. I think that this is not so good idea. It doesn’t matter that your cat is going to be treated or held in hospital for 24 hours. Honestly, if you ask me I think that this is minimum time. It should be held there for at least 72 hours. Some cats just do not tolerate aspirin. True, aspirin is an all – purpose pain reliever that is used to treat arthritic condition and as a fever reduced but I think that there are better solutions. Also aspirin inhibits the blood’s ability to clot and cats just can’t metabolize this drug quickly. There is a risk of overdose.

I am one of those people who think that animals should only take medicines that can be bought in veterinary clinics and are therefore made specifically for animals.

I consider giving human meds to animals acceptable only in the situation when there is no medicine made for animals.

There are medications  (painkillers) made for cats and why not use them?

As far as I know aspiring has many good, but also many bad sides.

If it’s really necessary to use aspirin then it should be done under the vet’s supervision.

While doing that, you must pay special attention to the dog’s stool. If there is blood, you need to stop with that treatment immediately.