Hello everyone. I had three heart attacks in the past 16 years. It all happens so sudden that no one in my home doesn't know what is going on. Generally I am fine and I don't have any symptoms of a heart attack. My sister is a nurse and she told me that I should check cardiac enzyme levels. When I asked her why, she told me that they can show a heart attack. I am a little bit skeptical, but maybe she is right. Can you tell me do you know anything about it? Can cardiac enzymes levels show a heart attack? 

Hi Billy,

Your sister is correct.  Cardiac enzymes CAN show a heart attack.

There are three that they normally look for.  Troponin I (TnI), Troponin T (TnT), and Creatine Kinase (CK).  If the tissues of your heart are damaged the levels in your blood will increase.

Hope it helps.

Good day there. Thank you for sharing this with me. So, she was right about this, when she was saying this. OK, so do this means that I need to do this cardiac enzymes level tests? If I need to do that, where I can do it, what I should ask for? If this can help me somehow, I don't see why I shouldn't do it. And, when someone has damaged tissue, what he should do? How someone can treat it? Or surgery is needed? I am sorry if I ask too many questions, but you need to understand that I am worried a little bit. Tnx

Hello there. I remember that my good friend was doing this test and when I asked her why is she doing it, she told me that cardiac enzymes level can actually show a heart attack, Which is very good, right? I don't remember how much this test costs, but she told me that it is not that expensive and that it is very, very good. The most important thing is that this test is effective. So, I think that everyone who has some predisposition or someone  who already had heart attack should do this test. It is effective, helpful and good.

I understand. And I don't care as well how much money I need to pay for it as long as this is good for me, as long as this can show me what is the best for me and what should I do to prevent some bad things to happen. I have just one more question for you. When I do this test or when doctors are doing this test to me, what do they do? Is this painful, are there some needles that he needs to use? Anyone who had experience with it to tell me the exact procedure? It would be really helpful for me. Thank you.

Billy,

Your doctor will need to order the test. It's a standard blood draw from your arm.

Hey there. I totally agree with medic dan. No one from us in here cannot tell you what is the best test. Also, it is very silly to ask us what is the best test, what we can recommend to you. Remember, that no one can't tell you what is the best test beside your doctor. So, go and consult him about it, ask him whatever you want to know and ask him whatever you want to know about this test. It is very important to do it when you already have problem with it. Good luck and I hope that everything is going to be ok.

Yes of course that they can, but you also need to know several things about this, you need to know what your doctor will seek. To test your cardiac enzyme levels, your doctor first needs to know your complete medical history. Also, he will need to do some physical examinations. ECG will help him to discover are there any abnormalities that are caused by damage of the heart and this is a medical device that is going to have and make graphical record of the heart’s electrical activity. He will order a blood test to detect abnormal levels of enzymes in your blood.