Hello everyone. My happiest dog (he is always happy, he is playing every day, and he is so active) is acting really strange lately. This is something new, because I never had any, but ANY problems with my Ricco. Now, I don’t know what to do. He avoids me, he doesn’t want to play with me, and actually, he doesn’t want to play with anyone from my family. He is being a little bit aggressive when I came near him. It is really strange. Also, he always urinate on “his place”, and yesterday, he did it in my home, on my new carpet – purposely. He is not furious, I think that he is …sad. Maybe depressed? How can I tell if my dog has depression?

When my dog had depression there were some obvious signs. First I noticed he doesn’t want to cuddle like he used to. He became lazy. When I tell him to catch the ball now, he starts running before he even sees the ball. Back then, he didn’t even want to get up. 

He refused to eat. I used to buy him expensive treats he loved, but he didn’t want them either. 

It was very obvious that something was wrong. 

I think that’s the case with almost all dogs, they change their complete behavior when they’re depressed, it can't go unnoticed.   Your dog seems to be depressed by what you've told us.

Hello to you too.

Over the years I came to the conclusion, no matter you do, your dog can develop sadness or even a depression. There are numerous factors that can cause the state your dog has now, so I won’t bother writing about them.

I don’t say this is your problem, but I had several cases of seasonal depression with my dogs. It was quite usual around Halloween as they didn’t like colder weather. The only thing I could do to help them was walking them a bit more. Parks, malls, neighborhood, whatever you choose is good.

Hope you will sort it out soon.

Good day everyone. Depression signs are very obvious. At some stage of life, pet will be depressed, doesn’t matter how much do you care about him, how much do you pay attention on him. This is normal, but there is a difference if your dog is depressed for a few days or if he is depressed for a few months. My dog was depressed once. He didn’t want to play with me anymore, he was at the corner, and he didn’t want to eat. But, my dog was not aggressive at all, he was just sad. So, your dog’s condition is a little bit weird. I suggest you to take him to the vet. 

Hello there. My dog was depressed more than once. And, he is still really young. Dog depression symptoms are really similar to depression symptoms in humans. Your dog can become inactive, he can eat less or he can change his sleeping habits. He doesn’t want to do things that he did before, it doesn’t matter that he enjoyed doing them. When you notice some of those symptoms, you should find the way to treat them. If you don’t find a cure on time, you should know that this could lead to periods of depression. I am not sure is your dog depressive, maybe he is, but I am a little bit surprised because he is aggressive .

Hello everyone. Your dog is depressed, obviously, but just like some other members told you, I do agree that you need to take him to the vet, just to see why he is aggressive. I know that my aunt had similar problem. Her dog was biting everyone around him, and that was not so pleasant experience at all. We couldn’t figure out what is the main problem of this, but later we realized that he is jealous because she was pregnant back then, and that was the main reason of his depression. She noticed this as well, so she was playing with her Sammy more, she was paying more attention on him, and now, her daughter, Ellisa, she is now one year old, is the best friend with her Sammy :)

Dogs act very strangely when they’re depressed. I don’t know is it because I’ve been a dog owner since like, forever, or it’s some other reason, but I find it much easier to notice when a dog is depressed than when a cat is depressed. 

Dogs make sure that you notice that they are not eating, refusing to play, or to cuddle. 

They sometimes even refuse to go out. 

If there is a big, long term problem with depression, you may notice that dogs are urinating literally anywhere. They just don’t care. 

Just like people, when we’re depressed, we also tend to forget about the hygiene. 

I thought I am the only one whose dog gets depressed around Halloween’s!!
What’s up with that?? Almost every year she starts acting strange. I never thought that it can be a seasonal depression.
My husband and I are usually very busy around Halloween’s. We prepare costumes for both us and our children so I figured she is probably depressed because she is not in the center of our attention.
But this year, I am divorced and it’s only the two of us home and she seems depressed even though we’ve been together for 12 hours today.
I don’t know what to do with her.

Hey there. My cat also have some depression issue two days before Halloween’s and two days after Halloween. Sincerely, I was thinking that I am the only one that has this situation :) lol. Yes, this definitely can be one of the reason why your dog is acting strange :) I have learn to let it go, because I know that she will be just fine after this, but also, I am spending more time with her. She went one year with me at the Halloween’s party – I was a witch and I needed the cat :) Don’t worry, try to play with your dog more, and you will see that he  will be just ok.