Why do I keep getting stomach aches after eating bananas? I cannot remember a time when i did NOT get a stomach ache after eating a banana. Am I possibly allergic to bananas?

I have this same problem.. 2 hours following the consumption of a banana will consist of horrible cramps until I have to go #2 and finally feel better. This problem didn't develop till a little over a year ago, though. It took me like a month to figure out it was the bananas. I have no idea what causes it though.. and it's only raw bananas.

Always have pains after eating bananas. I keep reading about how good they are for the body...so I keep eating them! But damn, the pain is annoying.

Oh my gosh! I have this same problem! In fact, I'm in terrible pain right now and I was hoping to find some answers to why this happens to me.

It just happened to me today. I was doubled over in pain. The pain seemed like it was under my ribs in the middle of my stomach. I needed to take a Pepcid and it eventually went away. grr. I thought bananas were part of the BRAT diet.

I am familiar with the banana stomach ache. It didn't start to affect me until about four years ago when I reached my early twenties. Eating them raw alone is absolutely out of the question, but I found that cut up in a bowl of cereal is not nearly as uncomfortable. Also, pleasantly, when cooked - such as in banana bread - they did not bother my stomach at all! Plantains, another fruit in the Musa family to which the banana belongs, seem easier to digest and are also quite tasty. If you must eat the banana, try it a different way, and best of luck to you!

Me too, but after a few years i realized that is depend what type of banana we ate, but i cant remember the name of each type of banana. For the size smaller one, most of the time is sweet and great to eat, but it will cause some of the ppl like us stomach pain. Because it will cause our stomach develope gas, so we will feel the pain. If the banana size is large and long, although not really taste good, but it wont cause us stomach pain.

For now, i would like to find out the name of the banana name that wont cause stomach pain and nice to eat.. :p Wish someone can share out :-D

I've had the same problem, ever since I had my first baby. Before that, nothing. Now, I wish for death when I eat a banana (which happens to be one of my favorite foods.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have the same problem. I can eat banana bread but not raw bananas. I get horrible stomach pains and have to go lay down for a few hours. It's awful. I also have the same problem with avacados and blackberries. Not sure why.

I am the same but can get same symptoms after eating battered fish of all things!!

I wish I knew what it was that caused it

Banana was recognized as a food allergen already about 80 years ago and IgE mediated reactions have been described by several authors since the 1970s. Several cases of anaphylactic reactions to banana have been reported. Severe reactions were recently reported to have occurred in 6-month-old children, in one of the cases the first time the fruit was eaten by the child.

Allergic reactions to banana have been observed to be common in adults and children with latex hypersensitivity. The sensitivity has been ascribed to the presence of cross-reacting IgE binding allergen epitopes in the banana fruit and in the natural rubber latex of Hevea brasiliensis. Several studies have shown that IgE binding to separated banana proteins can be inhibited by latex extracts. However, it is obvious that banana allergy can also be fully independent of latex hypersensitivity. It is clear from the comparative studies that both allergen sources are heterogeneous mixtures of several allergenic proteins and that patients, as with all other allergens, produce IgE antibodies to their own individual selection of allergenic components. The correlation between measured IgE antibody concentrations to banana and latex does not identify cross-reacting allergens as the dominating allergens.

Banana has also been suspected of sharing allergens with other fruits, like avocado and kiwi, that show antigenic relations to natural rubber latex, and with melon and ragweed pollen.

Allergen specific IgE antibodies can be quantitated in serum and testing should be considered in the investigation of suspected latex allergy, in food allergy in children, and in urticaria of unknown cause.
Source(s):

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

but the important question is this: having already eaten a banana, and now suffering these intense cramps, what can you do to feel better besides simply waiting it out?

just don't eat bananas on an empty stomach:)

I find that if i eat very ripe bananas, I don't have a problem. If I eat less ripe bananas, I get stomach pain and sometimes sharp shooting pains in the bowel. I have IBS and truly believe that this is all about bananas being difficult to digest and causing gas. I did not always have this reaction to bananas. I'd say this kicked in at about age 40.

Joyce

This banana thing is crazy. I realized today that it was indeed the raw bananas that have been giving me horrible stomach pains, and cramping as well as cold chills! I too like bananas and have been trying to eat them for their nutritional value. Also, after reading the medical note ;-) , I also have a touch of urticaria that can not be explained. I am 8 months post partum so I just chalked it up to that. Now I am wondering if this is all allergy related???