Someone told me that I shouldn't be eating grapefruit on my diabetic diet.  I thought since it was a citrus fruit it would be ok. What do you think?  I always count it as a carb unit for breakfast.  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?  I don't want to cut out grapefruit.  Thanks!

Hello, Guest.  So you were told that you cannot have grapefruit on your diabetic diet?  You can have grapefruit and any type of fruit for your diet.  You just need to have it fit into your diet plan and you will be fine.  You can have it for your breakfast as always.  Do you eat other fruit other than grapefruit?  What other types of foods do you enjoy on your diabetic diet?  You can enjoy most anything really just as long as you don't go over your carbohydrates you are allotted for each meal. 

Mainly, you shouldn't add sugar. Like ybanks said, as long as you don't go over your carb intake limit, you should be okay. Regardless of if you can or can not eat it, I wonder, why did you think citrus fruit would be preferable to other fruits as far as your dieting goes? Also, if you already are counting it as a carb unit, what's teh problem? If you're really concerned about it, I recommend consulting a pyhsician. If you don't want to bother setting up an appointment or paying for a consultation, try asking someone with experience. Ask a number of fellow diabetics what they've been told, and what they know about it. On a side note, what type of diabetes do you have? I've been assuming type 2, but if you're type 1, the answer may be different. Another thing, make sure you stay away from extremes don't eat only fruit and don't eat no fruit. Go with the whole 'everything in moderation' thing.