In the study set to find how our bodies react to different types of exercise, the results showed that jogging’s after-effects include a craving for fruits while swimming, on the other hand, prompts a desire for biscuits.

Intensive activity need not increase the appetite but certain workouts result in hankerings for particular foods.

The researchers found that some athletes like runners do not feel hungry after sport because their effort suppresses the ghrelin hormone that stimulates appetite. His findings suggest that people who are worried that their exercise regimes will cause them to lose too much weight should turn to swimming, which inspires a craving for fatty food like biscuits and chocolate, or weightlifting, which creates a hunger for potatoes and pasta.

The body tends to respond to exercise so it can do it more efficiently in future. The lighter you are, the better for long-distance running, so your body will crave watery foods that lower your body temperature by rehydration while not piling on the pounds.

But if you are making your body lift weights, then you will crave carb- and protein-rich foods that will bulk up your muscles. Similarly, if you are regularly swimming in cold water, your body benefits if your brain guides you towards foods that will give you a layer of protective fat.

The study author, Dr David Stensel of Loughborough University’s School of Sport & Exercise Sciences, said that the body’s different reaction to particular types of exercise stemmed from a combination of physical and psychological factors. The suppression of appetite experienced by joggers does not get corrected after they had recovered from their exertions. These people don’t seem to overcompensate for missed meals when their body returns to its rest state, which is fascinating.

So, by running, you burn all the calories but you don’t get hungrier than you would, have had you not exercised at all.

ha ha, I just recently started going swimming on a regular basis and yeah i admit i've been munching on biscuits quite a bit.

It sure makes logical sense.

I've had the same experience. After swimming, I could eat a horse but running and also lifting or aerobics would only make me drink water or eat watery fruits.

Hello everybody! I've had the same experience also. After a few laps on a 50 meter pool, i am so hungry, as cliche as it may sound but i could really "eat a whole elephant" compared on running/ jogging for about 30 min which would only make me thirsty and exhausted.

I have read an article just like the article above maybe a few months ago. That article pointed out, that if you would like to lose some weight or to get slimmer, well, swimming would not be a good option compared to running or jogging. Since swimming tends to store more fat.

As you can observe on athletes: Swimmers have MORE body fat percentage per body mass
compared to
Runners which has LESS body fat percentage per body mass

;-)

it sure is true. swimming makes you eat biscuits. it makes sense. by the way nice post . very informative

Thats so hilariously true. I've recently begun jogging on a daily basis and I always crave a mango afterwards. I thought it was just me! XD

I really like swimming for my exercise then after i like to eat LOL ^_^