I like to swim and would like to lose a couple of pounds. I heard that swimming is not good for weight loss. I can’t see why. I mean, don’t you spend hours in the pool and use all your muscles to propel yourself forward (or backward)? Is it true?

It is not true. Swimming is great activity and it burns many calories. Swimming vigorously for an hour can burn more calories than most of other activities. On the other hand, some researches showed that people who swam for several months didn’t lose significant amount of fat. So, what’s the catch? Well, swimming is so demanding that our body reacts by increasing the appetite. So we inadvertently ingest more calories when we start to train seriously in the pool. Simply we eat more. So if you want to burn more calories while swimming just pay attention to what you eat. You don’t have to decrease the intake. Just keep eating as you have been before swimming. You will lose fat for sure.