I am a distance swimmer and have been doing a two-beat crossover kick for years. Some “experts” say that this is outdated and obsolete. Is it really so bad? I wonder if I should try a faster kick. Some people claim that the best distance swimmers use a 6 beat kick. Should I use it? There are several freestyle kicks: 2-beat, 4-beat, 6-beat, 2-beat crossover. I am confused. Which one should I use when swimming freestyle?

2 beat kicking for distance swimming has been around a long time. However, the swimming sport has shifted to lower body emphasis lately. You can be successful with any type of kick; it is all a matter of adjusting it to how you swim. Personally, two beat works for me, I use it for all freestyle races. When I try 6-beat kick I get out of rhythm and I didn’t have any luck with the 4-beats either. Your stroke timing and body position will determine which kick to use. Like I said, many great distance swimmers use a two-beat kick, but there are also some that do other rhythms successfully. You should do a bit experimenting. You should compare the results of your 2-beat tests with those using other kicks. The main thing is that you have no problem holding body position and good technique with a two-beat kick. Then you can try other kicks too.