Hello, I need HELP, my BG is so high, it's being very stubborn. How can I lower it. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I was diagnosed with type 2 with a very high HbA1c over a year ago so I was well into diabetes. I've been trying to lose weight and I'm having trouble doing that as well. I'm about 90 pounds over weight, I'm afraid to say. Some things I eat tend to bring my BG high and I don't understand why and it's not like I'm eating big portions. I have really cut back on portions. Please, need help. Thanks.

Hi, It is very important that you bring down your BG because high BG can bring about serious health problems long-term. Neuropathies can occur along with infections, blood clotting, poor wound healing and possible amputation of limbs. As I'm sure you know by now diet and exercise are paramount. Being overweight brings about insulin resistance, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. High cholesterol and blood pressure feed diabetes. You must get these things under control.

You are new to all of this but you must realize that you must exercise but you know it doesn't have to be an intense workout. Anyway you need to start out slow. I suggest you start walking as much as you can. That's not so hard and it feels great when your done. If you have a bicycle try riding it. You can actually burn a lot of calories that way and and really not feel tired at all. If you're having problems with exercising try to get a friend to exercise with you. A buddy can all the difference in the world.

If the foods that you are eating cause you to spike you need to find out which foods are high-glycemic index and go for the low-index foods. There are a number of sites on the computer that list low-glycemic foods. If you have a printer, print them out and put them on your refrigerator. Make sure to buy those items only. If the wrong food is not in the house you can't eat it. Just a simple list try oatmeal, high fiber fruits, beans and nuts. Stay away from potatoes, rice and white bread. Of course, stay away from fast foods. Eat lean meat and fresh veggies and fruits. Try to eat small meals more often during the day. Fish is always a good option and remember to drink plenty of water.