Hi, folks. My brother is suspected to have Tourette syndrome and he will have to go to further examinations. I hear that there is no special test for diagnosing this disease. I wonder whether MRI can detect it. It would be great if it could. Does anyone know this? Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. As far as I know, MRI cannot detect Tourette syndrome. For diagnosing this disorder, the most important thing is history of patient’s symptoms. However, there are some studies that try to detect it with functional imaging. People with Tourette were found decreased metabolism in corpus striatum and corticolimbic structures of the brain. Functional studies with PET can also help with this. But this is still under investigations. I am not sure it is in common medical practice. Then again, talk to your brother’s doctor. I hope everything will be all right.