I had vertigo for many years but now finally I got diagnosis. My doctor said it is probably labyrinthitis, but we need to have tests to confirm this. However, he told me that routine laboratory studies are not helpful. I am supposed to visit him again because of these tests, but I want to hear something about it before. Can you tell me something about the most popular diagnosing methods to define labyrinthitis?

It is true what your doctor told you about routine test, but good news is there are other diagnosing methods. A workup for an infectious etiology based on clinical suspicion may be performed in case for labyrinthis. This workup could include blood cultures, a urine culture, a chest radiograph, or a cerebrospinal fluid examination. In most patients with the labyrinthitis syndrome, no imaging studies are required to diagnose it. Doctor commonly performs an MRI of the head, with and without gadolinium, if a central vestibular lesion is suggested by clinical findings. In most cases, MRI does not need to be performed on an emergent basis. Some other tests are made for those patients with a chronic labyrinthitis syndrome course. In these cases, some more specialized tests can be performed. These tests should be performed under the direction of a neurologist and an otolaryngologist.
These are electronystagmography and caloric tests; the most commonly tests done to diagnose labyrinthitis in patients.