Hello! I started to feel burning during urination few days ago. Since it was rather cold last week and my feet were cold I thought that was the reason. When I started to feel pain just above my pubic bone I told my mother about it and she took me to see my doctor. He said took a sample of my urine and the next day called us and said it was a urinary tract infection and prescribed antibiotics. I still feel the same symptoms and I would like to know how long it will take before antibiotic works.

Hi! You doctor did the right thing since the only way to know if there was a urinary tract infection was to take a sample of urine and examine it (actually “culture” it, which means to grow bacteria from the sample). He prescribed antibiotic which would, according the results, kill the bacteria most efficiently. It is needed to take the antibiotic 3 to 5 days and then the culture is usually repeated to make sure that antibiotic is actually killing all the bacteria. Sometimes the problem is in getting a good sample of urine for culture which may affect the results. If the result of culture is not satisfactory than another antibiotic is usually used. Also, it is important to repeat the culture after the antibiotics are finished to make sure all the bacteria are killed.

a couple of days. I have one as well. take Azo or of the counter Uribel (used for the pain of uti) as a reliever until the antibiotics kill off the infection. take all of your antibiotics even if you feel like you don't need them anymore. if the symptoms get worse or don't heal notify your doctor immediately, if may have spread to your bladder or kidneys.