Wherever I turn around, I can see that people are talking about "chronic insomnia". I don't even know what this is.

I know what insomnia is, but what has to happen with people to become chronically?

I am asking this because I am a student and I can't sleep during my exam period at all.

During three months I am struggling with myself and I wanted to seek for help, but somehow I gave up on this...

But now, when I am reading some forums I can see that a lot of people are dealing with chronic insomnia and I really want to know what this is and is there any way to treat it naturally? 

There are two different types of insomnia - acute and chronic. Chronic insomnia lasts longer than acute insomnia. There are some causes of chronic insomnia. Usually, those causes are: chronic stress, depression, anxiety, discomfort during the night that is accompanied by pain. There are several natural ways that can help you cure your insomnia problems. For example, good sleep habits, that is also called sleep hygiene, can help you get a good night's sleep and beat insomnia issues. You should try to get to your bed earlier and don't turn television. Turn off your phone as well.

I see. Well, I can't go to the bed earlier because, as I already told you, I have my exams and I really need to study over the night. When my exam period is over, I really want to relax a little bit from all this hard work and I love to spend time with my friends. I think that everybody would look at me weird if I go to the bed at 10 pm for example. Also, I am a student and I can't imagine my night without searching Instagram, Facebook and Twitter a little bit. Actually, I really don't see how this can affect my sleep. When I can't sleep, what else I can do if I don't do something with my phone?

Well, if you want this to stop, you need to change your habits. I do understand that you are a student and that you have your silly routines every day and every night (I was a student as well and I am pretty sure that I do remember how this works.) 

But if you think that you might have issues with chronic insomnia, then chronic insomnia treatment is necessary and you need to do all necessary measures about it. That means next thing - avoid your phone when you are in your bed, forget about social networks and WIFI when you are going to sleep, go earlier in your bed, don't stay up for too long, exercise and don't drink a lot of coffee. Don't eat heavy meals.

If you want this to stop, you better listen to those bits of advice. 

Celebrity

I agree.

So many things can cause insomnia, but what I really believe is that you have a huge stress and that you don't know how to fight it anymore.

Also, if you take some medications - sleeping pills or medications that are helping you fight some allergies, this also can cause insomnia.

I suggest you to visit College doctor and to talk about this a little bit.

I see that you are aware of the problems, but I also can see that you don't want to do a lot about it.

If you want to have normal and quality life, you really need to change your habits.

I had the same problem, my stress was so visible and the main cause for my accumulated stress was my exams. I was not scared to visit the doctor and I really didn't want to listen to other people what will they say me about my condition. I was reading a lot about this and I was sure that I have problems with chronic insomnia. The good thing was that I have visited my doctor and he told me that I actually do have problems with sleep apnea. That is another sleep disorder linked to insomnia. It becomes partially or completely obstructed during sleep, leading to pauses in breathing and a drop in oxygen levels. This usually can cause for a person to wake up very often and to sleep very bad...

Once, I was tired as well. You can see that by my nickname.

You can treat it naturally with some healthy habits, but you should know that chronic insomnia is usually a result of stress or some life events or habits that disrupt sleep. Do you want to treat it? No problem.

But you need to find the cause because treating the underlying cause can resolve insomnia, but sometimes it can last for years and you need to be aware of this.

You can try to treat it with sleep restriction together with your doctor. This therapy decreases the time you spend in bed and avoids daytime naps, which actually makes you relaxed at night. Now, once your sleep has improved, your time in bed is gradually increased for sure.

Good luck!