Ever since my best friend was dumped by her boyfriend, she is having some problems. She can't deal with this situation and I can see how desperate she is. I want to help her but she keeps telling me that she doesn't have problems. Well, I know that she has. One night she was sleeping at my place and I woke up in the middle of the night. She was not in the room so I went downstairs and I caught her eating without having a control over it. I know that this is a binge disorder. But that is all I know. I don't know anything else. How dangerous is binge eating disorder and how can you treat it?

Celebrity

Hello.

First, you need to know what is a binge eating disorder. That is not just one more ice cream ball in the bowl. It is not one more slice of the pizza for the dinner. It is more than this. It can be a serious disorder. It affects population very often so far. So, you should definitely seek for the treatment, no matter how far your issue is. It can be dangerous a lot if you don't do something on time. But that doesn't mean that binge eating disorder is something that you can't heal. You can. But it requires a doctor - physiologist, therapist, etc. Sometimes even a nutritionist. 

Yes, but you should also know that a lot of people are making a mistake when they are trying to choose a proper binge eating disorder treatment. They think that diet will solve all of their problems. But that is a huge mistake. You should know that you should not diet. That is the first rule. At least, one of the first rules. People do that, especially if they are overweight, individuals with binge eating may turn to dieting. Well, you should know that this is a huge mistake since dieting involves restriction, which leads to feelings of deprivation. I don't even want to mention what this can turn into. So, if you want to get a proper treatment, a doctor should be an option! 

I see. This is something that I have tried to explain to her and something that I have to understand in the first place. But she keeps telling me that she is eating too much because she is about to get her period like she wants to convince herself that she doesn't have any type of problems. I doubt it. I also wanted to find as much information that I can to see what I can tell her to do, how I can't help her and generally how this dangerous is, but I was not able to find anything that really can help me. But according to your posts, it seems that visiting a doctor should be a priority. I just need to find a way to convince her to do that....

Well, since she is your friend and you want to help her, you can do that. You can do a lot of things that can help her in the first place. For example, you can tell her that it is time for two of you to go to some fitness together. Or climbing the mountains - whatever you like. Running, riding a bike or just walking in the nature. Some hobby that she enjoys should be her ticket out of this hell. So, you know what are her interests and what she likes. Try to relax her by suggesting her this and see what is going to happen. Maybe very soon she will accept that she has issues. 

hi. I am a girl with this type of disorder. I got it when I was a teen girl, when I was only 17 because I was not able to accept some things in my life.
my friends were refusing to hang out with me because of this, they wanted me away from them and I had really bad grades because I was alone. my parents were blaming me, so I didn't have their support as well. I started to eat a lot since I found a salve in the foods.
that was a mistake and I started to getting fat. everyone notice this, but I didn't care since I was alone and I was convinced that no one likes me.
I realized that I need to stop doing this when I was 26 years old and when I noticed that I have some serious mental issues, that I am getting fat and that this started to bother my health generally. so, as you can see, it can affect every single segment of your life. that is why it can be really dangerous.

Celebrity

I am sure that it can be. I think that your experience is one really good advice for all of those people who are struggling with it, but they believe that this will go away just when they wake up next morning. That is so wrong. I still believe that there is nothing better than seeking a help, seeking a good therapist or counselor that can help you get to the “whys” of your eating behavior. A simple talk with them can do a lot of work in the healing progress, they can help you find some new ways of dealing with the emotions that underlie the behavior. Usually, a lot of therapists are using cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques for the patient. And guess what, this is usually the most successful technique that you can get.