ok so i have a few ?s im going to try to help some1 who is addicted... lortab, opana, zanaflex cocaine, and alcohol are all problems. within the past 6 months he has already tried to get off opana, roxy and 1 other but now has apparently started with the others i first named. i guess what i need to know is, is it possable to stop diong certain drugs if you continue to take others that you may need for pain? also cigs, and weed are used daily.... not to worried about those just want the others to stop. even tho he used to have alot of pain i think he only THINKS he needs them bcuz hes addicted. ive never been addicted to anything in my life so i need some guidance on what to do. any advice would be appreciated. i really think he wants to be dun with all this, i just need to know what to expect if i step in... ?

Hi honey! So I just need to get something right here OK! So he is taking pills - but doesn`t think he is pain any longer!

no he's taking pills and doing coke... he used to have alot of pain so a mild painkiller was needed. now 80% of the REAL pain he was having is gone but he still thinks he needs everything but the coke to cope w/ the pain. i think he just wants it bcuz he's addicted.... he already has heart and liver problems and i want him to stop everything so his body can re-regulate itself...

WOW!! Ok the only way he will ever be able to just take pills for pain is to get him to the base! So this is going to be hard esepcially if he thinks he doesn't have a problem! He will need to be open with his doctor and get off these killers slowly!

1. Get him to a doctor and if he isn't open you need to be - no more secrets
2. Go to either a detox or a rehab place - due to his being on coccaine and alcohol and pills it's going to be VERY hard for him and he wont be able to do this on his own!
3. To wean off the pills get a smaller container and cut the pills in half - so the container looks FILLED - I know this sounds silly but it works! Your addicted brain can be tricked into thinking it has more than it does - so it doesn't go into withdrawls to start the pills again!
4. The house has to be rid of ALL acohol - even if you drink here and there, it HAS to be gone
5. He has 3 addictions - 1. Alcohol, 2. Perscription, 3. Illegal narcotics - this is HUGE and especially to his body! He will be getting yellow skined, cerosis of the liver, nasal problems skin issues etc etc. So he will need to go to a place that is about the WHOLE body

You asked what you should expect, it just depends on if he is in denial or not! Also if he really wants his life back! IF he wants to kick this you are half way there, you just have to lead him to the place and be supportive! IF he hasn't reached that spot yet, THAT is going to be the problem! You CANT change someone who doesn't want to be changed! It is you who has to change how you deal with it! IF he refuses to get help, are you going to sit there and watch him die, or are you going to stand up and walk out the door? There is a fine line between enabling and helping someone! Enabling means you are allowing them to continue, helping is correcting the problem WITH them and NOT allowing them to keep on doing what they have been doing! As women we have a REALLY hard time coming to grips with the fact of saying "NO!" or "No MORE!" But this is YOUR life and I promise you honey IF he doesn't get help or refuses, your life is set in stone that it will be a Lonely, horrendous existance for you to see the person you love slowley destroy themselves! You HAVE to expect more for you and your relationship! He isn't strong right now, so you have to be for both of you! And stand firm - don't waver! The line is in the sand and the bounderies and rules have been made and NOTHING can change them! So have a good talk to him and tell him how you TRULY feel! See what he says - IF he wants help get it immediately! IF he doesn't you need to decide if you can walk away!

I decided to get help, after months of being told I was an addict! And it was BLOODY hard, but I did it! And have TOTAL sympathy for the addicts and the addicted family members! Because that is what you are - an Addicted family member - you are just as addicted to this lifestyle as he is - I know that sounds insane, BUT it is a fact that your WHOLE life is surrounded by the addiction! You can't go over to so and so's, if he has been drinking! You can't leave the house if you think he is in danger! You can't sleep well because you don't know if he is going to pass out and die! It is a HORRIBLE existence for both! And something RADICAL has to be done! So gain strength from others, and go to your own counselling - such as ALANON! I hope you both get healthy and both get help - you have to help yourself first, to enable yourself to help him! And I'm usually on here so you can vent and just talk OK? BIG HUGS honey!

Thank you, you pretty much confirmed what I already thought. I have no prob being there and doing whatever I need to do to help him as long as he wants help, if not, Im going to have to walk away for our kids. He hid his issues from me very well but now that I know if he wont stop I cant stay. He refused to talk to me when I brought it up but said he knows it needs to be discussed, but refuses to admit its as much of a problem and I think it is. I dont know how long I can wait for him to talk to me because even though I think he really is trying I resent him more and more everyday and I dont know how not to.... Ive tried to check into rehab and the Baker Act, but I havent been able to get very much info, I dont think he will go into rehab voluntarily. The only issue w/ that is I need to know how much if at all Law Enforcement is involved because he is in violation of probation and I wouldnt want him to be arrested... I am so lost right now, I know what I need to do I just dont know if I can do it.

My 17 year old was just arrested for shop lifting, we asked him to leave the house on a Saturday - as he was OUT OF IT! And looked scary - on Monday we got the call! We found out that he was addicted to Coccaine and this drink called "Codeine" plus he did dope and smoked! So the hardest thing we have ever done we did! We told the court that we would NOT be taking him home and requested he get into rehab! They sent him to a detox place, then he went to another one right after for another 7 days! He is sitting next to me right now after going to court and finding a lawyer! I KNOW what you are going throuhg - from both sides, an addict and a mother of an addict! Since he is in violation of his parole - and my son is on parole right now too - then you HAVE to turn him in honey! You could be held responsible for this and might loose the kids! IF the courts order him into rehab that would be the best! HE knows he can quieten you down and you wont do anything, BUT when he is dealing with the courts that's another thing! He is just biding time so he can get together what he will say - he doesn't want to be put on the spot = as he is stoned and can't think straight! A liar and an addict - which is the same thing really - HAS to have a VERY good memory and be on the ball! They can't come back with quick answers, you can corner them faster then they can blink1 And they DONT like this! BUT this is too bad! DEMAND to talk about it right now - IF you fear for your safety, DONT and leave! - why should you walk on egg shells? We refused to and sent our son packing! Ask him to leave or you will call the police = a friend of mine did that with her husband! He had to go to Narconon and then finally came home after completing his rehab!

It's YOUR call - you are in charge right now! HE and Thus the drugs CANT run your life anymore OK? Don't be afraid and if he knows that you aren't going to let it go and are totally serious then you might see a change or a willingness to change! No more secrets honey! No more living in the shadow of this disease OK? And as I said IF you fear about his rage or what he will do MAKE him walk OR you walk OK? HUGS!

Im going to try to talk with him tonight. I know he needs to get the law stuff taken care of but I dont want me trying to help him now be the reason he goes to jail however Im going to do what I need to. I may give him a few options, none of which he'll like Im sure. Its good to know that how I feel about things is valid and you being an ex addict helps even more because you have been on both sides. Thank you very much and I will let you know how things go.

Fingers crosssed honey - GOOD LUCK!!!

So its been a week and a half w/ only 4 lortabs, nothing else. Lots of mood swings and fights but I think things are on the right track. Got into it, but he finally talked to me. Told him what I needed to and he did the same. Its going to be a LONG, HARD road but he's ready so I'm going to do what I can to help... Only time will tell 8-| ..... Thanks for the advice and the talks.

You're welcome honey! It's a HARD time, and he might fail, but IF he slips up get him back on track! Communication is key! BUT also be prepared to do a time out! Like when you KNOW he is having a rough time and can't deal with stuff right now, back off OK? As an addict it is the same for me! IF somone is on and on, I go CRAZY! and can't think! As though there are 30 conversations going on towards me all at the same time! Just nice and slow OK?

I'm going to cut right to the point "NO"!!! I know from personal experience (was addicted to dilaudid, morphine, roxies, and xanax), watching friends also afflicted with addiction and i am now in medical school. One or two are the one's that you perfer i am sure of it and taking any drug prescribed, illegal or drinking alcohol is only substituting one poison for another and will always lead you back to your drug of choice! Now with issues of pain, i know how exactly how this person feels, i was diagnosed with lyme's disease at the age of 12 and by the time i was 23 i was having severve crippling pain. I was prescribed dilaudid and did not become addicted to them for the first year, then all bets were off, i would go through my presciption within a week ( a months supply ) then supplement the dilaudids with other opiates like roxies, oxycontin, percocet etc. See after a while it is not only a psychological addiction it's also a physical one (unlike cocaine) You body needs it otherwise you go through such painful withdrawal symptoms most addicts will do anything to avoid it. There are alternitives though i curenntly take a medication called Suboxone, it stops the horrible withdrawal symtoms and stops the cravings, it cannot be abused but, it does not work on pain! There is another medication called Methadone that can be used to treat pain and keep an addict from abusing opiates. I perfer the Methadone because it kills two birds with one stone. Now if this person is experiencing withdrawal symtoms such as hot and cold sweats, sneezing, sweating, dilated pupils, body aches, diarehha, vomiting etc, they will most likely have to go into an in-patient detox to get off these medications. The detox is made very easy and comfortable for the addict. Step two would be an after-care program with an addiction specialist, it's determental to the person's recovery, Narcotics anonomus meetings are very helpful to some people also. In my personal opinion i'd get this person into a drug and alcohol detox center asap!!! Hope this helped! Jessica

I was put on oxycontin after a full size truck rear ended my compact car twice. The pain was unbearable. At first I would not take the oxycontin. I never took the oxycodone I was given for breakthrough pain. I hated the way it made me feel, but it stopped the pain so I took it. Pain management doctors advised me not to seek physical therapy, orthopedic doctor, or neurosurgeon. After 2 1/2 yrs of this, I found a detox/rehab center that would take my insurance. Florida is a nofault state, you cannot sue and win in a car accident case, even if you are the injured, believe me I tried. 12 days of suboxone and I was off. Four months later the pain came back. My pcp said go back to the pain center. Expletive. I had another MRI and am now seeing a neurosurgeon for injections, procedures and possible surgery. It doesn't matter if you abuse these drugs, they are addicting. In my case it is called physically dependent. I had to laugh at the addictions psychiatrist when he asked me how I took them. "uhm by mouth." Don't go back on any opiate or other addictive drugs, your nightmare will begin again.

Hi I have been struggling with addiction since I was 14 and I am currently 24 I've been to countless rehabilitation programs the key is,is he ready I mean really ready not because you his family or job is pushing him into it and also not just because he's on his last leg and sick and tired of being sick and tired because this will not keep him clean he really has to want it.Also if he is really willing to stay clean is he willing to make drastic changes ex: you handle his money,go to NA/AA meetings IOP or even a inpatient program?Yes most def you need to step in it really helps when you have somebody that supports you.I just realized that this has been written over a year ago so to whomever reads this now and if you know somebody who is struggling with addiction don't give up on them because its a long road and also I have a poly-substance problem so I do everything I can get my hands on If you are really dedicated to stop you have to stop all mind altering substances now ciggs are different one addiction at a time take baby steps because again its so hard when you are used to using something like I am. Also try to find Al-Anon meetings in your area they are very helpful or even try a open NA meeting its gonna take work on both parts good luck I really hope things get better