My boyfriend and I had discussed him checking into a detox inpatient for 3-4 days so that he can get off pain killers he has been on now for 2.5 yrs. He decided to stop taking his meds without planning it with me and we were not able to find space for him in a detox center on such short notice. So this past weekend he went at it cold turkey and he is now on his third day of withdrawal what can I expect for the next 2-3 weeks and what type of treatment should he seek now that he has gone cold turkey. Anyone out there that can give us a recipe how to detox from opiates?

I will try to share my recent experience with hydrocodone withdrawal with you. I checked in to rehab at a local behavioral hosp and for 5 days I was there they gave me a minimal amount of meds, but real work began when I got out. I will not lie it was tough, really tough for about 3 weeks. I could not sleep, had little appetite, was depressed, emotionally distraught and felt as if I would never make it. But, I did. I am now opiates free. My recipe for detox is being patient and you’ll see a progress.