DHS called me two weeks ago and asked if I would take my great niece.  The baby came right from the hospital to my home.  She was in the hospital for six weeks, due to being addicted to methadone.  The mother was also noted positive for cocaine.  They had court and she was not released to the mother. They will have court again in a few months.  My sister the babies  grandmother has r her 6 year old daughter due to similar situations.   My sister could not take this baby also.  I have to take baby to see her mother on Saturday for a supervised visit.  I am so nervous!

Just relax is all you can do to make the best of the situation for the baby as the baby will sense from you the stress and that is the last thing he/she needs right now with all that is going on in their life.  They come through it, it's tough and their is consequences that may remain with them for the remainder of their lives but with the help of wonderful people like you they will perservere  through it and so will you.  It's tough, I know.  I'm a support worker in a preschool for children with special needs and they are so special and I love help preparing them for kindergarten as the process is so important in getting them set up with absolutely everything and everyone that they will need.  You will be busy and you will be hated; by the child's mother but you are doing the best for the CHILD right now and not for the mother, the mother was only thinking of HER needs and not the needs of the child, that's selfish.  The court system is usually all about what is best for the child and what is best for the child will not be with the mother, right now, until a proven track record can be produced and she can prove that she is clean and can remain clean through life with stressors, as children provide stress whether we like it or not.  Good on you for providing for the child, I respect and admire you as it is never easy, the childs mother never makes it easy on you as the provider right now.

All the best to you and the child right now.  My arms go around you for a big hug of support and caring.  If you need to vent, write it all down as I'm a great neutral person without anyone to gossip to.  Take care of yourself and the little one, God Bless

Hi, you are doing an amazing thing. Every thing that Liz said is true. I only wanted to add that from your post it sounds like you are in Australia. If you are get in touch with an organisation called the mirabell foundation. They provide support for families in your situation and are wonderful. Good luck with it all. There will be workers at the supervision centre that will support you. And if you are able to, perhaps take someone you trust for support. All the best