RAPID DETOX THE REAL STORY

I been on and off Narco's for 10 years, in the past I would taper down one pill a week, and slowly stop.  Best way, but my habit was 6 a day max

Last year my mom got cancer, and died in Oct 2012, I was very close to here.  My habit got out of control, I was taking 120 a week 10/325 * 10/500 10/660 and a few Roxys as needed.  My liver was getting bad, and I was also getting very lazy.

I had to stop, but taper was not the answer.  It would take to long and I no longer had the will power.  I checked the Internet and found Rapid Detox.  It said to be painless and fast.  I did not feel like suffering withdrawal, nor spending up to month in a rehab.

There were a few places that performed this procedure.  They place you under anesthesia and are detoxed while you are asleep.

I did not find any places in New York, they had one but it closed, so I called around.  The one I liked best was a Rapid Detox Center in Michigan.  The lady I spoke with was Jennie.  She was very nice and caring, and did not get angry even though I called her repeatedly.   She stayed on the phone with me for long periods of time.  She was very knowledgeable and explained to me the entire process.  The rates were also the best at $7900.

The experience:  Intake was Friday, but I decided to come a day early.  They provided free car service to the hotel.  That day was my last hurrah, I finished my pills.

Intake was Friday, they drove me to the center, not far from the hotel. I filled out paper work, paid the bill, had blood work done, EKG, physical exam, and spoke with the doctor who spent over an hour with me. I was given some pills to take to help with the withdrawal, and told not to take any more opiates.  I was shuttled back to the hotel. 

At the hotel I had about 6 narco's left so... you know what I did!

Saturday was the big day.  I was once again shuttled to the center.  I was placed in a private room, changed into a gown, and laid on a hospital bed.  They placed an IV of fluids in me.  I was never left alone.  I was feeling cranky as I did not have any narco's in me.  A nurse came and gave me some liquid valium, which helped. 

From the room I was then moved to the surgical room.  All I remember is the nurse placed something in the IV and the next thing  I knew - I was laying in a bed in the recovery room with a nurse.  They helped me to the bathroom, I felt a bit tired, but wanted to go back to the hotel.  The Doctor came and examined me, and they shuttled me back to the hotel with a nurse.

I did not bring my own care giver so I paid for my own.  The care givers were very nice and attentive.  They stayed with me in the hotel, and took care of all my needs. There was a head Person in charge (Para-medic) who came by and gave medicine.  Each day a doctor came and gave an exam, and spoke to me.  He was very nice and spent a long time with me.

For the next few days I basicly slept and drank a lot of fluids.  I had zero withdrawal!  I decided to stay an extra day because I felt a little weak. They covered three days in the hotel, I paid for the other two, it was not expensive $69 a night.  The hotel was nice.

When I left they gave me a big bag of medicine, about 10 bottles.  All kinds of meds, for sleep, nerves, stomach, diarah... Most I did not need, but good to have.

The first few day I felt tired, a lot has to due with my age 50, the younger you are the easier.  I drank a lot of fluids and rested.  A few times I got strange sensations which lasted for about 10 minutes and pasted.

It is now two weeks since my rapid detox and I feel like a new person!  I am getting up early, I feel better, everyone is telling me how good I look.  I am able to work a full day in my business, Life is wonderful.

If you have the money, this is the way to go.  Feel free to ask my any questions.

Hello, EdwPolSch. Thank you for your post. I am interested in doing the rapid detox at RDD in Michigan. I've done research and thought that was the best one for the price. Of course I would like to go to the one in Cali and get the Weissman, but I can't afford to pay $15-$25K!!

I have been on methadone for 3 years, started at 35 and have worked my way up to 70mgs which luckily is not a lot compared to some Rapid Detox methadone patients. Do you have any other information you might want to share with someone like me who is interested, but also still very nervous and trying to find the correct center for me?

At your age were they concerned at all for your heart while under the anesthesia or during the rapid detox treatment? I am only 23 years old, but I smoke, take birth control, and have been on Methadone for a long time, all of which affects the heart negatively. Now that I have found help from my parents to go through the detox I have decided to quit smoking and start taking Omega-3 for my heart, which already is making me feel better! But I cannot help but be scared that there will be something to get in the way of my freedom from opiates and I was wondering if you have any extra information on the testing and what they were looking for with the EKG and what I should expect. I'm sure I can also talk to Jeanie, I've spoken to her online already.

Thanks again for your post. How are you feeling now? I am so excited for the opportunity to have my life back and to not have to suffer too severely to get there. I thank god for my mother, from whom I had kept the secret of my addiction until last night when I realized i had to tell her and needed her help and she is so supportive. It is good to hear a good story from the detox and if you have any more info, please share it with me!

Thank you so much! Take care and keep living - let life be your high!

Hi - Glad I can help! Jennie is the answer lady, and a very sweet lady. After the procedure I called her for about two weeks everyday. She advised , and kept me sane.

At your age you have nothing to worry about, unless of course you have major heart/health problems. They only put you under for about the 30 minutes. With there method is different then others, that way. The less you are under the better..

I will I tell you it is not a magic bullet. I had my ups and downs, but am fine now. The downs were very manageable, and faded quick.

It has been six weeks since my Rapid Detox, and I feel as though it never even happened. I am 100 percent myself. Feel free to email at

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

if I can be of any help to you. I will tell you straight.

The truth is the Waismann in California is the only one in a real Hospital , the rest is in clinics or surgery centers. Its really dangerous and they have had a bunch of deaths in hotels because ,they sent patients that cant even walk and are not physically well to make it cheaper.

I dont even know how the medical board in Michigan allows these places..

Really bad to right lies,
1) Not one person was ever killed by this treatment.
2) You are in the room with a EMT, and there is a paramedic in the hotel in case of emergency.
3) There is a MD a phone call away, who visits with you each day.
4) They allow this place because it works, and I can attest to it. It was a mircle and proberly saved my life. I am over 10 months clean, and feel great.

"Unfortunately, rapid detox has become a catch-all term that encompasses a range of unregulated treatments for opiate dependency, leaving patients uneducated about important safety precautions that are vital to their health," said Dr. Lowenstein.  "It's frightening how many practitioners are not following proper safety protocol and performing rapid detox procedures under sedation or anesthesia as outpatient, leading to increased emergency hospital admissions and deaths. Rapid detox must be performed in an ICU setting, and under the strict supervision of trained medical doctors with appropriate post-treatment monitoring. When done correctly, rapid detox is safe and effective. The key is educating patients on what to look for, and restricting practitioners from cutting corners."

According to Dr. Lowenstein, the key factors that impact the safety of rapid detox procedures include:

Medical Screening – All rapid detox patients should undergo a detailed evaluation, including analysis of medical history and a physical examination, laboratory testing, EKG, chest x-ray, and urine toxicology screening. Additional cardiac testing may be required.  Admission to the hospital at least one day before a rapid detox procedure affords necessary time to conduct proper medical screening, hydration and pre-medication.

ICU Setting – Rapid opiate detoxification under sedation can significantly affect the heart, lungs, nervous system, and fluid balance in the body. For these reasons, treatment must take place in an intensive care unit, and patients should be monitored in a hospital or inpatient setting for approximately a day following the procedure so they can be appropriately treated for changes that may arise as a result of the procedure.

Anesthesia –General anesthesia is unnecessary for rapid detox, and procedures that place people under for four to eight hours or more can pose great risks to patients. Waismann Method® achieves rapid detoxification using moderate sedation, avoiding general anesthesia and its associated risks

Dosage – The procedures under scrutiny in New York used very large doses of Naloxone and Naltrexone to reverse opiate dependence.  Waismann Method® utilizes significantly lower doses to safely and effectively rid the body of opiates

Post-Procedure Care – Patients who are sent home or to hotel rooms to recover are at much higher risk for serious injury, dehydration, pulmonary/cardiac events and even death, because they don't have qualified medical professionals to evaluate and treat potential medical emergencies.

Waismann Method®, which pioneered the procedure in 1999, has established a rigorous safety protocol for the treatment of opiate detoxification under sedation.  The protocol does not resemble other rapid detox programs performed in New York or other parts of the country that utilize general anesthesia and/or perform the procedure on an outpatient basis through clinics or surgery centers.

"Over the course of 15 years we've performed more than 3,000 rapid detox procedures with the Waismann Method®, and we've refined the process to maximize the safety and efficacy," said Dr. Lowenstein.  "It's alarming that patients are being placed in harm's way because other treatment programs are cutting corners to reduce the cost of the procedure at the expense of patient safety. Patients need to be armed with accurate information to ensure they are getting the highest level of medical attention.  It's time that experts and leaders in the medical community create a specific standard of care for rapid detox, removing the risks associated with unregulated facilities."

I have to wonder about this is article and how accurate it is. I know that Rapid Detox has not been offered in New York for over two years. Not because it was banned, but because the places that offered it were not able to find enough patients to make it profitable - which is why I traveled to Detroit.

Medicine and science is always changing, using a method from 15 years ago sounds out-dated. Fifteen years ago if you had appendicitis you were admitted to the hospital two days in advance for tests, they preformed a long operation, you were left with a huge scare, stayed in the hospital for a week, and it took a month to recover.

Today appendicitis is treated in the hospital with medication, for two days, you go home. You are fine in a few days.

The article sounds like a lot of self promotion for Dr. Lowenstein's facility, which I am sure is more then double the price. of RDD in Michigan.

I gain nothing by blogging, and one of the persons who I recommended the treatment (she is on this thread) is in contact with me, and she is doing great!

I will repeat - RDD is Michigan knew what they were doing, the procedure was less then hour, almost like a colonoscopy, and worked well for me

Hi there! I am undergoing this procedure in December. I would love to ask you some questions please!!!!!

my experience with rapid detox.. is this true? Bc I have heard all kinds of horror stories. I want to do this so badly but cannot afford to spend $8000 in the first place let alone spend it to end up in withdrawal. I expect to feel a bit sick in my stomach, uncomfortable. I am on a lot. But I want to get off. So badly. Can you please give me a contact for you? I want to talk to you directly.
AF

Can you please tell me exactly where you went? is the the place in southgate or the other one? I need to do this . I need to make sure there is NO withdrawal..otherwise not worth the money. can you help me? thank you ... Abigail

COuld you please tell me where you went exactly?

although I know some of them are good, edwpolsch , there were people that died...in new York and new jersey. that's why the centers are closed now. also someone told me the one titled MDS is dangerous..that only the RDD center is ok. please help. so many different opinions.

People HAVE DIED from this procedure. Does the name Dr Lance Gooberman ring a bell? 4 died at his clinic Did you do any research at all? Don't just make up stuff, whoever you are.

Is your payment refunded if the procedure doesn't work ?

Dear EdwPolSch, I appreciated you sharing your opiate detox experience until Guest kept insisting on knowing exactly where you went. Then Guest pretended to be a prospective patient and put down MDS. It seems like this site is managed by Jeanne, OWNER of RDD. As a matter of fact, RDD is the ONLY facility in Mich WITH DEATHS!!! Go to Kinsella et al v Rapid Drug Detox and you will see how JEANNE place RDD killed the poor man. Oh Yeah, JEANNE started off as a secretary in TROY Mich where several patients died!!! Sorry to burst your bubble EdwPolSch but I couldn"t bear the dishonesty of claiming others had deaths when RDD had deaths and literally gets away with murder!!!