I am a 23-year-old male. Lately, I have been experiencing difficulty when urinating. What happens is that every time I need to urinate I feel mild pain and urine stops in the middle of urinating. So I went to my doctor and he found a stone in my bladder. What I want to know is how does this happen and how can I get rid of it? It is starting to get on my nerves!

Some people have an increased tendency to form urine stones. These stones can start in kidneys and then end up in bladder. Urinary tract infection can cause growth of bladder stones and that can also happen in cases of enlarged prostate because the normal and full drainage of bladder is restricted. Many people can walk around for many years with stones in their bladders without any symptoms. But if the stone irritates the mucosa of the bladder it can lead to appearance of blood in the urine. Pain is also one of the symptoms, like in your case. When the stone gets stuck at the entrance of the urethra, urine stops in the middle of urinating. Treatment depends on the size of the stone. Smaller bladder stones can be removed during cystoscopy, where a tube-shaped instrument is inserted into the bladder through the urethra. When the stone is bigger it can be removed with surgery or with lithotripsy, a treatment in which the stone is reduced to smaller fragments by sound energy. In many cases stones are expelled or removed without permanent damage to the bladder.