I have heard for some cases where people got necrotizing fasciitis, and most of them were health. This worried me because I realized I could have it on my own as well. I know this could be serious condition, because surgeon could cut off infected parts of the body. I would like you to tell me if that is true. Can you tell me what causes necrotizing fasciitis and when person could expect it to happen during lifetime?

It is not estimated who is prone to be infected, but every person could get it. However, important is to know that surgical procedures may cause local tissue injury and bacterial invasion. Commonly, this situation might result in necrotizing fasciitis. These procedures include surgery for intraperitoneal infections and drainage of ischiorectal and perianal abscesses, as well as some other procedures. Intramuscular injections and intravenous infusions may lead to necrotizing fasciitis. Minor insect bites may set the stage for necrotizing infections, so this should be considered as cause for necrotizing fasciitis as well. Streptococci can be introduced into the wounds, but the bacteriologic pattern changes from hypoxia-induced proliferation of anaerobes, which is the main problem with this infection. It is well known that local ischemia and hypoxia can occur in patients with systemic illnesses, such as diabetes. Host defenses can be compromised by underlying systemic diseases favoring the development of these infections, such as necrotizing fasciitis. Illnesses such as diabetes or cancer have been described in over 90% of cases of progressive bacterial gangrene, so this is cause for this as well.