I have heard that infection called necrotizing fasciitis could happen to anyone. Most commonly, it happens with skin damage. All this sounds ok to me, but lately I found out bacteria that causes it is not so benign. I have heard it causes death of some parts of body, which should be cut off to save life. Can you tell me if that is true and could necrotizing fasciitis cause death?

Death from this condition called necrotizing fasciits is common, but still many people are successfully treated. In addition to the tissue decay, the bacteria cause the rest of the body's organs to go into systemic shock, which could be dangerous. This is dangerous because it may result in respiratory failure, heart failure, low blood pressure and renal failure. Every system of the body can fail because of the severe infection and toxicity of the system. Important is to know that necrotizing fasciitis is not a reoccurring condition. Once that is treated, the bacteria are eradicated from the body. During treatment, surgical sites are left open for a sufficient time, and then checked again, to be sure that the remaining tissue is no longer being destroyed. When physicians are confident that the infection has been stopped, the wounds are closed. It should be done most commonly with skin grafting. Then the recovery process starts which involves lengthy physical therapy, and long-term recovery, because necrotizing fasciitis is truly a devastating disease.