I have been getting chest and jaw pain for about two weeks now. I also have been sharp pain on the left part of my chest where my heart is. A couple days ago, I had pressure in my chest, sweating and difficulty breathing, and lasted for about 15 minutes, which are signs of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

I had an EKG which came out normal. I got a chest x-ray done and x-ray of the neck and jaw. If the EKG came out normal, could there maybe be a start of something related to the heart? At the time of the EKG, I didn't have that episode I had a couple days ago (sweating, pressure in chest, and trouble breathing) Is that why the EKG came back normal?

I still have chest and jaw pain now. Also, I sometimes get lightheaded.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Cassie

Hi Cassie! I would hazzard a guess that you are suffering from Angina! Perhaps caused by stress! What your doctor should be doing is making an appointment for you to see a cardiologist! As women can have TOTALLY different symtpoms of heart problems - including heart attacks - then men! And MANY doctors aren't aware of this! I always say it is better to be proactive instead of reactive! So get checked out OK? You might need an Angiogram - just to see if you have any blockages! Good luck and health!

Thank you for replying. I have been dizzy for most of the day and it started today and I still have it. I also feel weak. I still have the chest and jaw pain that stayed the same. Are these signs of something serious?

Cassie

Hi Cassie! Apart from Angina and of course the worst - a heart attack! Your symtpoms can actually be from stress and anxiety as well! I know that's hard to believe but it is true! Either way you need to be seen by a cardiologist, and have a heart monitor belt on!

Thank you for replying. May be the dizziness is from stress or anxiety. But the chest and jaw pain are a whole different story because I have it for quite a while. Will blood work show any signs of a heart condition or angina? I have an appointment with my doctor tomarrow. Should I have gone to the ER when I first had these symptoms? My chest and jaw pain are still here with the dizziness.

Cassie

I always tell people IF you are having symptoms similar to a heart attack GO STRAIGHT TO AN ER! Believe it or not MANY symtpoms of heart attakcs are actually from indigestion - thus the term Heart Burn!!!! My dad had the worst case of heart burn EVER! Even the doctors in the ER thought he was having a heart attack!! Some doctors say they can't tell the difference - until the blood test! So IF you think there is something going on with your heart, get to the hospital OK!? And let me know how you make out OK?

Thank you for replying. I am diagnosed with Costochondritis and I get very bad chest pains, with pains in my upper ribs and up to my jaw. Everything came out normal EKG, bloodwork, chest x-ray, etc. I am on pain medications that are not working. I will be getting a cortisone injection in my chest eventually. I have Costochondritis for almost 2 months now.

I also had 5 episodes of trouble breathing and pressure in my chest. In fact, I woke up at 2 in the morning on Thursday and I had trouble breathing. My question is even though that it is Costochondritis, how do I know the episodes I am having are not from a heart attack?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Cassie

I also get rapid heart beats with my Costochondritis. I also have trouble breathing and tightness in my chest at times. Should I go to the hospital?

Cassie

I truly believe you should always go when it is to do with your heart! So please go and let me know how you make out, Good luck and health honey!

Thank you for replying. I have new symptoms with my chest pain. I have pain in my left arm and shoulder, and pain in my right arm. The chest pain is still the same. I have pain in my jaw, back, neck, and upper ribs. I also get tingling in my fingers on my right hand. I don't know if these are signs of a heart attack or the symptoms of what my doctor still thinks is Costochondritis? I also still get rapid heart beats at times.

Cassie

Women have different heart attack symptoms differences then men! Due to this happening I REALLY want you to go to the hospital! NEVER mess around or disregard your symptoms when it comes to you heart!

Thank you for replying. I just found out that I have a heart murmur and Costochondritis. Is a heart murmur dangerous?

Also, why am I feeling the pain on the left side of my face? I also still have pain in my left and right arm and shoulder, also in my jaw. The pain can get worse at times.

Cassie

Pain can be from SO many sources! Hear constriction, muscle pulls, twists etc, a heart murmur is VERY common for many women and men! And it just has to be watched! Costochondritis is the inflamation of the rib joints, so this would definitely affect ALL of your musles on your chest! Hopefully you were perscribed some anti inflammatories! These will help and also know that Costochondritis is temporary! You probably got it froma pull, or if you have had a coughing cold recently! So just watch out for MAJOR symptoms and just take note of what the doctors told you! Good luck and health!

When you're having the pain, get to an ER and get checked out. You have all the classic symptoms of heart disease. Take it from a veteran of the heart wars. If it isn't, you'll be happy. If it is, you'll still be happy you went in time. I had 6x bypass surgery in '96. I went to the ER with just a dull ache between my shoulder blades. While I was there I got dizzy and sweaty. That's when they said I actually had the heart attack. Just for accuracy, your heart is in the middle not on the left side. That's an old myth.

At the ER they can easily sort out acid reflux from heart problems by giving you a drink with a topical pain killer and an antacid in it. If you get immediate relief (the pain killer) that indicates your esophagus is damaged. If it stays gone after an hour the antacid is working in your stomach. They did that to me about 5 years after the bypass surgery when I was dieing from chest pain. They put me on Prilosec and I've been fine ever since.

Thank you for replying. The doctor found the heart murmur by listening to my heart from the stethoscope. Also, the tests thry did showed up as well. Can a heart murmur eventually become a big problem? I also have Costochondritis which doesn't help either. I still have pain in my chest and jaw, adn radiated up to the left part of my face. I have pain in both my arms and shoulders, especially my left, and my upper ribs. I have to go for more follow-up appointments for this heart murmur. I also still get rapid heart beats at times and get lightheaded at times.
Cassie