Hi. I`m 25 and have a friend with some abnormal sounds of the heart. He went to a doc and was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. So I`ve read something about it and found out is a disorder in which the heart's mitral valve (separates the left upper from the left lower chamber) doesn`t close the way they should. But, I would like to hear from somebody with experience about the treatment options and prognosis.

Hi. My Mom have mitral valve prolapse and her doc told her that she need no treatment at all. He said that mitral valve prolapse is, in most cases, harmless and does not cause symptoms. But, in some cases, it can cause severe mitral regurgitation and in that case you must go to a surgery. Antibiotics are usually prescribed if a person with MVP have a bacterial infection. Anti-arrhythmics can control irregular heart rhythms. There are also Vasodilators, which reduce the workload of the heart, Digitalis, to strengthen the heartbeat, and diuretics to remove excess fluid in the lungs. The outcome depends on underlying conditions (sometimes it can be fatal, when arrhythmias is associated with MVP).