Hello all.  I am a new dog owner. I’ve just received  a message from the guy who sold me the puppy saying that I need to vaccinate it.

First of all, when I saw the add I called him and I remember very well that he told me the puppy was already vaccinated. It turns out it’s not.

Not only do I have to take that responsibility, I also need to find all the information that I need by myself.

I am new in this town and I don’t know any vet clinics. He didn’t even bother to give me a number of some vet.

Is there anyone here who can tell me something about  first vaccine for puppies, costs and schedule?

Hi there,

I think I can help you with this one. You probably already heard about the core and non-core vaccines. Your puppy is receiving the core vaccines first. There are four of them, and this is their schedule: when your puppy is between 6 and 8 weeks old, he receives a distemper, measles and parainfluenza vaccine (all in one). Two weeks after that, he should receive DHPP vaccine, that’s four vaccines in one. Two weeks after that, he is supposed to receive his rabies shot. And lastly, two weeks after that, DHPP vaccine again. The cost depends on where you go, which clinic, but basically, you can get all of these for 100 dollars.

Hello.

Don’t worry about this. This is a typical procedure and I am sure that your vet can help you with this. He is the only one who can make good schedule for your puppy.

I am glad that I am here because I am a new dog owner as well and I am still learning a lot about them.

So I am really glad that I found this topic.

I am sure that this topic will help me to learn more about first vaccine for my dog.

So please tell me – my dog is almost 7 months old. People from shelter told me that he received one vaccine. They don’t know which. Is it late for him to receive other one?

Hello. Millie – cat it is not late for your dog to receive vaccine. But you should do this as soon as possible. This dog is not a puppy anymore like you told us. Properly vaccinating your puppy will protect your dog’s health. Your vet will help you to determine the best schedule. I can help you. When your dog is between 6 and 8 weeks, he needs to receive first distemper parvo vaccination and de – worming, if needed. When your dog is between 9 and 11 weeks old, he needs to receive second distemper parvo vaccination (it costs about 25 dollars), de – worming again if needed ( 10 dollars) and his first heartworm prevention tablet (6 dollars). His third distemper parvo vaccination your dog needs to receive when he is between 12 and 15 weeks and it costs less than 30 dollars.

Greetings.
I could not agree more with your, Dog Whisper. You told us exactly what we should do and when to vaccinate puppies. It is never too late but as fast as you do this it won’t be any consequences.
Of course there are three mistakes when you need to vaccinate your dog – when you do it too early, too often and too late.
As a new pet owner you should consult your vet and determine the best schedule, ok?
@Millie – cat, for me it is really hard to tell you what you should do. Your dog is definitely not a puppy. You should do some tests soon and see is there any side – effects because your dog is not vaccinated more than once.
Good luck!

Hi there,

There are only four vaccines that your little one should receive, as already mentioned above.

The first vaccine is given to him sometime after he is six weeks old. After this one, the other three are given to him with a two to three weeks time distance between them.

These are not so expensive, but even if they are, they are the core vaccines that he must receive, so if you can’t afford them and aren’t going to give them to your dog, you shouldn’t have him then.

They usually cost around 100 dollars: all four of them. Some clinics may have higher prices, since they include full examination for your dog as well.

Hey you guys.

I hope that your little pup is doing fine! :)  

I believe that you already have the whole info that you are going to need about vaccines. At least for this period in your dog’s life.

Just find a good vet and you are half way there.

How old is your puppy? If he is already with you, I suppose that the little one is ready for his first vaccine. The other ones will follow pretty soon after he has received his first one.

Don’t think too much about money here because it is a thing that needs to be done, but it’s not really expensive anyway. You can talk about the schedule with your vet.

Hey everyone.

So many good comments. I have to tell you that it is very important to find out is this dog vaccinated or not.

If your dog is not vaccinated you need to consult your vet about this situation.

Like others here already told you, you need to vaccinate your dog when he is just a puppy and after that, every four or five months.

I am sure and I really hope that your dog is OK, that this means nothing for his health.

You need to find a good vet and good clinic. Avoid low cost clinic.

Keep in touch.

Hi there,

I wonder MM, if you found a good vet and if your pup has received his first vaccine.

Everyone told you about the core and non-core vaccines, about what you should and shouldn’t do. I’ll agree with Love is Pet that you should avoid the low cost clinics. I’m not saying that they are worse or anything, but just in case.

Your pup needs only these 4 core vaccines so don’t gamble, do it right. It still won’t hurt your pocket a lot. You should pay for a good clinic so your pup will be examined after every single shot. That’s good because some of these shots have side effects which should be monitored.