Hey everyone.

My friend Karin got a dog, lovely Alaskan malamute. I never saw this breed before so it is much more interesting to me :)

Yesterday, we were at the mall, it is Christmas shopping time :)

We found a lot of amazing things for our pets.

We went to drink a coffee and we were talking about our dogs :)

She wants to find a good vet for her Tom and I recommended her my dog's vet, because I know that he is really an expert in his job.

She asked me do I know which vaccination dogs need.

I don’t know, since I made schedule with my vet.

But now I am curious about this. Do you know which? :)

Hello. Some dogs don’t need to be vaccinated for all diseases all the time. They are two groups of vaccinations – vaccinations for core diseases and for non - core diseases. Core vaccinations should be given to your dog because they prevent diseases. They are extremely widespread. Core vaccinations are for diseases that are fatal or extremely hard to treat. Now, core vaccinations provide long term immunity, and they include – canine parvovirus, canine distemper, canine adenovirus 1 infection and rabies. Those vaccinations are recommended yearly. Non – core vaccines protect against diseases that do not meet the core vaccinations description. Not so easy to remember but once you made a schedule with your vet it will be much easier.

Hey there.

This was a huge problem for me because I was sure that all of my dogs need other kind of vaccinations. What a mistake.

When I made a schedule with my vet I was totally clear with it – all my dogs need the same vaccination. Only thing that is different is for how many times they will get one.

But it is pretty much the same.

I agree with Dog Whisperer about those vaccinations.

A lot of my friends do not vaccinate their dogs because they believe that vaccinations are not safe.

I don’t agree with it. At all.

Hi folks,

Dear DS, Dog Whisperer already told you above about core and non-core vaccines. You are not obliged to give your dog any of these except for the rabies shot, which is required by the law (you can get rabies from your dog and die). The core vaccines are given to your dog when he is still a puppy somewhere when he is between a month and a half and 5 months old. Later on, some people give these vaccines once or twice a year to their pets but I wouldn’t suggest her to do this. Non-core vaccines are given to your puppy regarding the conditions he is living in.

Hello.

I don’t have a dog and I don’t know how to answer you on this question. I am here because I want to adopt the puppy and I want to learn a lot about this issue. As much as I can.

You guys gave me a great advice since I am a beginner.

But still I don’t understand what are core and non – core vaccinations?

What are the priority and when I should vaccinate my dog?

Bunch of new information that I don’t understand. Lol :)

I was talking with my friend about this and she told me that I should not vaccinate my dog.

Hey everyone.
Millie cat, I have to answer on your question.

When I was younger I was listening to my friends when they told me that I should avoid vaccinations. I did it.
Do I need to mention that my dog almost died? I think that I don’t.
That month was the worst month in my life.
You need to vaccinate your dog. People already told you which vaccinations your dog needs.
You should listen to them.
Vaccines will help prepare the body’s immune system to fight over some disease. When vaccine is introduced to the body, dog’s immune system is stimulated. At this way immune system is prepared to recognize disease and fight over it.

Millie cat, here’s the thing. Core vaccines are the vaccines made for the most spread and most dangerous diseases out there. There are 4 types of these vaccines (most of these vaccines have more than one vaccine mixed in it) and they are given to dogs until they are half a year old. Non core vaccines are vaccines that prevent some other diseases which are basically not so dangerous and happen less often. You give them to your dog depending on the place they live in, of where are they going, whether they have access to high grass, dirt or similar. Core vaccines are a must do thing, non core aren’t.

Hey everyone,
DS991, I’m just going to repeat what everyone already told you: you have core and non-core vaccines and the core ones are really important for your dog to take. I’m studying to be a vet so I know a lot about this kind of things. You don’t need to think a lot about this, every vet will tell you the same, your dog needs these core vaccines, 4 of them, which he takes as a puppy. If they are not taken when he is a puppy, they can be taken later on in life. Non-core vaccines are not so important but you can consult your vet in case that your dog might need one of them (based on his species and on the place where you live).

Hey everyone,

You already seem to have answered this question, plenty of info here. I’ll just add my opinion on rabies vaccine, which is necessary, required by the law, but does more wrong than good.

It is one of the core vaccines which are mentioned above. Although it’s a core vaccine, it has very bad side effects which can lead to your dog’s death. It is the only core vaccine that you should try to avoid. You have a lot of non-core vaccines and they are more a matter of choice. You should probably consult your vet about giving your dog any of these non-core shots. I don’t know about you, but I think it’s not so easy to find a good vet these days.