Hi. I am not a new dog owner so I’m kind of embarrassed that I have to ask this but I’ll try to explain. You see, when my dog was a puppy, my sister took care of him. She took him to the vet, got all the vaccines he needed, and then she gave him to me.  So I don’t have any experience with vaccination even though my dog was regularly vaccinated. Now, since I’m moving to this apartment in the city, I asked the women there if I could take my dog with me (or I need to find another place to stay). She e-mailed me that it’s perfectly fine and told me that she actually has a dog of her own. She got him two days ago and she is asking me what shots does her dogs need and what is the best time for vaccination. What should I say? Little help please

Hello there!

I must admit I was relieved when I read what you said in the ‘’()’’.

For a minute there I though you were planning to ditch your dog if you don’t get that lady’s approval.

Anyway, I’m glad you did. And here is what I know about vaccination, I hope it will help you.

Her puppy should receive series of vaccinations with a vaccine product that protects against parvovirus, distemper and hepatitis. When my dog was a puppy I remember I  also had to get him vaccinated against rabies. 

I’m not sure about the proper time for the vaccination though. Maybe someone else will know.

Hey. I am glad to hear this. Puppies needs to be vaccinated very often. First time, starting at six weeks, and it needs to be vaccinated every 3 to 4 months, up to 14 or 16 weeks. And, final shot should be given to your dog between 14 and 16 weeks to minimize the risk of some diseases. Proper time of vaccination is something that you should plan with your vet. I mean, he is the only one who knows this and who can tell you this. I know a lot about best time for vaccination, but I don’t know what shots do your dog needs – that your vet can tell you. 

Hey there.

I totally support the idea that this dog should receive the series of vaccination. The puppy shot is one of the most important, I have to say CRUCIAL steps in assuring the puppy, if you want him to be healthy and happy during his life.

Now, what shots, when to vaccinate the dog, and how to vaccinate this dog, it is different from puppy to puppy, so I definitely cannot tell you.

You should always consult your vet to determine which vaccines are the best, which one are appropriate for your puppy.

This is the only way to protect this puppy from the diseases. 

Hello everyone.

I think that every case is different, from dog to dog. So, I believe that there is a difference between your dog and my dogs as well. Actually, that dog, because it is not yours :)

Vet is the crucial part of this, because, I am sorry, but no one in here can’t tell you what shots you should give to your dog and when.

I know some ordinary schedule, but I think that this is not the same for every dog.

I know that you should vaccinate your dog when it is a puppy, and then you will make a schedule with your vet as well. 

Hey everybody,

I’m the owner of a Japanese Akita and I did a lot of research about vaccination when I got her. Before I got her, I always thought that dogs are getting too many vaccines and I doubted it’s healthy, and when I did this research, it turned out that I was right about the number.

Your puppy needs to take somewhere around 5 vaccines when he or she is between 6 and 16 weeks old. The first vaccine is the most important one, but don’t skip any of those five .

I know that you shouldn’t vaccinate your dog every year later, and, if it’s not demanded by the law, you shouldn’t give him a rabies shot. It’s not good for your dog.

Hey everyone,

My dog received all of his shots that he was supposed to receive. Now he is just receiving one for rabies every year. He received four vaccines when he was little( I have a 4 year old Shar-Peis), first when he was somewhere like month and a half old, and the last one when he was around 5 to 6 months old.

I think it’s smarter to get your dog all the vaccines that are necessary. I heard that the rabies vaccine makes your dog a bit grumpy, but anyway, I’m sure it exists for a reason so my dog is receiving it each year.

Hey. I do agree that it is very important for you and for your dog to make a lot of research. I had one case, when one of my colleagues form the work told me giving vaccines for dogs, especially puppies more than four times is really too much. But, it is not. You should be aware of all those diseases that are attacking puppies when they are young, especially if you have a female dog. When your puppy is young, you should vaccinate him up to five times in year. Later, this number will go down, but it is still really important. 

Hi there guys.
You are not the only one that doesn’t know which shots dog need- believe me. It's ok, you have a good explanation for that, but those pet owners who don’t know anything about these things and have several dogs are so irritating. I mean, vaccinating is one of the most important things when it comes to dog’s health. You must know everything about it.
Anyhow, as someone mentioned before that lady’s dog needs his first vaccine at six weeks but she needs to consult her vet first because every dog is different.
Some of the vaccines that dogs must get are vaccines against hepatitis, parvovirus and rabies.