I’ve been reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 6 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD, LPR and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and a lot of  research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I was taking 3 capsules 2X daily and then backed off] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 90% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress but I’m happy with the outcome. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure and I’ve also used Flonase but it didn’t help. These are not long term solutions.

Now for the most promising solution for nasal problems - H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide). A nasal spray solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and distilled water works to clear nasal congestion. Make sure that you use FOOD GRADE  35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. This is NOT the little brown bottle you get at the drug store but you can get it a many health & vitamin stores. Mix the H2O2 and distilled water in a ratio of 3 ounces of distilled water to ¼ ounce of 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide. Take this mixture and put it in a nasal mister for use. It will have a sting to it but it has worked for me.

I hope this information works for you. Do your own research on this. If it does work, pass the word around on the various message boards (as well as your own doctors) since traditional medicine is in the fog about this issue.

UPDATE: I’ve been to my seventh doctor about my mucus/cough problem. So far Asthma, allergies, GERD, LPR, and home environment have been ruled out but the doctor has not been to pinpoint the problem. However, I might be on to something. In learning about LPR (the latest of medical suspicions), I came across information that may be of interest. It seems that Ibuprofen has side effects of rhinitis and tinnitus – which I have. The long term consequences of rhinitis are mucus accumulation. This makes perfect sense.  I battled a bad back for many years with hardy regular doses of Ibuprofen. I have since stopped all nasal supplements & OTC medicines related to and have avoided all Ibuprofen NASIDS. So far the initial results are encouraging. I’m still taking the probiotics which have helped me eliminate the ball of mucus in the back of the throat.