It comes and goes but mostly at night when im laying down been getting worse last few weeks even happening right now when i breathe in or out lil pop noise and if thats not happening it crackles like sssszssss then goes away and comes back in a min or 2. Please help need advice

Im 26 male ex smoker and drinker

Celebrity
Have you got rubbish on your chest or in your throat.
Is it that?
Just a thought.

I get this too! I cant find any information on it and its getting quite annoying now. mainly in the morning just before I wake up. I don't smoke and don't drink that often. It started a few months ago but recently got worse. Its like a loud popping/gurgling noise in my throat.
Im female 22 years old
Can anyone help????

similar thing developed in the last week or two

now, I think it is from me accidentally breathing in some vomit when i was ill couple of weeks back
look up aspiration pneumonia

not sure if that is useful for any of you guys but, pretty sure that is my scenario presently
no shortness of breath or any of that

just wierd gurgly/growly/crackly noises in the morning and a kind of lethargy!

31yo M here.

hope that is useful.

i have this same problem. When i am laying down, it feels like a tingling/popping feeling and it is loud enough to keep me awake. Sometimes it is followed by a wheezing sound. it is driving me nuts!

Is anyone getting any answers.  I have the same problem and see lots of other people with the same problem but no solutions.

Any solution yet?

It's impossible to find any information online that pertains to audible inhalation crackles that occur mostly when lying down, cannot be heard by stethoscope over the lung fields, in a non-smoker, non-asthmatic, non-bronchitis, non-everything with a clear lung X-ray. You can find a fair number of persons who have unexplained inhalation crackles, but no answers. So I'm a 70 yr old male in otherwise good condition, ideal weight, etc. I've had this crackle thing for 9 months. Four physicians, including a pulmonologist, have NOT been able to hear anything over lung fields with a stethoscope even though the inhalation crackles keep me awake or wake me up at night. If I'm standing up I hear nothing. My lung spirometry tests were perfectly normal (can inhale and exhale rapidly with no obstruction). A fiberoptic video cam view of my vocal cords was also normal. My pulmonologist was baffled--speculated that it's some mechanical/fluid thing going on in my throat area causing bubbles to form and then pop like Rice Krispies in milk. You would think with all the persons that have this phenomenon there would be an answer. I guess the bottom line is that it's not due to a bad disease. It's just annoying as hell. I usually wear ear plugs when I sleep which help a little.

I am not a doctor and like you my doctor couldn't find any problems. He sent me to an ENT who also couldn't find any problems. This is my OPINION of what is happening to ME. I am not saying that this is what is happening to you!! :-) Okay, legal disclaimer out of the way.

I was experiencing the same crackles as everyone else. Only when lying down. If I sit upright I would not experience the crackles. Sometimes even a slight recline would trigger them. In my case I believe they were caused by overeating. I believe my stomach was being stretched and pressure was being put on my lower esophageal sphincter causing it to not close completely. This was causing acid reflux and irritating my throat. I believe the condition is called "Silent Reflux". It causes similar symptoms. What I have done is reduce the amount I eat at meals. No more "all you can eat" buffets. I also started taking stomach acid supplements with bitters as stomach acid triggers the lower esophageal sphincter to close. I had to do this for over a year before I saw any improvement. I still have the crackles but they are barely noticeable. I have also found that sleeping on my left side or left side of my stomach helps tremendously in my case.

Unfortunately, like you I have not found any help with this problem. All of it has been just gleaning information found on the web. I hope and pray you find a solution and if you do, please report back!!

I've read of reflux causing crackles. Glad you were able to find a significant reduction in yours! I don't have any reflux symptoms, at least classical ones, and am not a big eater, but I may give the stomach acid inhibitors a try. I do have frequent hoarseness so who knows :) Appreciate your input.

After eating a piece of chocolate candy with nuts in it, it seems I have developed a crackling sound in my throat when I talk. When I swallowed the candy, I could tell something different happened - went down the wrong pipe, scratched my throat, not sure. It's better sometimes - then bad. Gargled with salt water, ate a ricolla. I was hoping it would just go away but this is going on 36 hours.

This is Mucus coming down to your Airway; as to why? It get's complicated.

I have had this for about a year, it seems to get a bit worse or better, if you put your phone on your mouth to record it it sounds like a bad rattle, I can record it even during the day without laying down.

My heart is perfect and I spent over $1k on tests on it to find out; for all the people who say it's CHF, it's not CHF if your doctor can't hear it sitting up on a stethoscope.

To someone who just started on this journey go straight to Prevacid or Nexium and try it for a month, it cures a lot of people.

After a couple of weeks go to a pulmonologist for a Spirometry, if you pass that, even barely, it rules out all lung disease, so you are left with Reflux, Allergies or post nasal drip.

I am on Nexium and was better for a while where I only got the noise lying on my left side, as soon as I stopped nexium it came back on my right side, so I guess it's that mixed with soemthing else.

Things doctors have found on me: Laryngitis, chronic infection, sinusitis, post nasal drip, allergies, LPR, reflux, eventration of the right hemidiaphragm (Not visible on second x-ray) and Sleep Apnea (Mild AHI 9)

Other ailments: Librium (benzo) withdrawal, feeling dizzy, feeling like I cant breathe, tinging throat, cold feet, finger tendon pain. Doctors say it's all anxiety and Remeron is helping.

With all this I an still functioning 100% and life is fine, please know that we come to these boards to vent and 99% of people who report this never come back to post any bad stories, I have researched this for many hours for 8 months.

.

LPR go to your ENT or Gastroenterologist ask for a upper GI ASP this is acid thats getting in our esophagus when laying down a acid you don't even feel , it's treatable but can lead to very serious issues if not treated like esophagus cancer !!!

I have been googling this to find an answer too. I have read on another forum that it’s possibly Bronchiectasis, asthma or acid reflux. For me only the latter seems plausible. I am leaning more to it possibly being post nasal drip for me. I haven’t read it on any other forums, but I am curious if anyone else may suspect it could be this?

Yes, post nasal drip is the consequence; the reflux goes into the airway, that irritates it and the brain triggers the post nasal drip. The best lung doctor I’ve gone to also mentioned that it sounded “mechanical” and that anything bad would have other symptoms, I’ve gone about 16 months with the noise and it does get better if I eat small meals during the day, and no food or significant water 4 hours before bed. It does take a few weeks of doing it to see results.