Ok so I've had this problem for over 2 years, and its the biggest pain ever.

I ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS feel Mucas in the back fo my throat, I can't clear it away by just coughing it up, or spitting it out, I have to suck it in me.

I really try to spit it out, but I can only spit it if I let it build up for a while, other than that I have to suck it up, and while doing that I make a really annoying noise....something like blowing your nose really really hard, but even worse noise.

I talked to my parents but they never believe me, they tell me: Its Psychological, and I've adapted a bad habit.

But I SWEAR I can feel it always. We've been to a Allergist, and he said its maybe Sinus, or Post-nosal drip. He said the Mucas builds up in my nose, and drips down to the back of my throat...Although I can't feel the drainage from Nose to throat, but my nose is pretty blocked up. The Allergist said this started because of a past allergy, and I agreed. 2 years ago I had severe Allergy, and once the allergy left, this problem continued on till today.

The Allergist recommended Nose drips, and Allergy medicines, but they never helped not even a bit. Next we went to a Nose and Throat Specialist, and she checked my nose and throat and said: Its Psychological, and I've adapted a dirty habit. But I SWEAR on my life, I feel it 24/7 in the back of my throat, but no one believes me not even the DOCTORS!

What shall I do PLEASE help. This Mucas is always there, and by clearing my throat (Spitting, Sucking whatever), its makes a noise, that every hates, even MYSELF!!!

PS. I tried drinking salt water and everything, nothing helps :(

Its not psychological...unless they're talking about the need for constant throat clearing..I do that and they say its become a habit but I feel the mucus in the back of my throat.  So I feel it could be a habit but also could be the sinus since I do feel it filling up back there.

I'm 63 and have been dealing with the throat clearing/nasal drainage for years..so went to the ENT for allergy testing.  It couldn't be a simple fix. Not allergic to anything.   He said it was the sinuses, use a saline wash and then prescribed some fosomax nasal spray.  it didn't work.  I am still having throat clearing, sinus / nasal drainage, a burning feeling in my throat, some foods like rice and pasta tends to stick in my throat.  Gross but sometimes I have to bring it up....cause it just sits there.  there is always just mucus..white..never blood.  I also get a metallic taste in my mouth.

I'm thinking this could be the sinus drainage which is irritating the esophagus, GERD...acid reflux disease..LPR, inflammation, infection, a gluten intolerance..celiac disease, who knows what? 

I feel your pain so my suggestion is to see your dr and have him/her schedule a Upper GI/ endoscopy for you to check out the esophagus.  I have mine scheduled for tomorrow at 11 am.....ugh..but its driving me nuts so.....  I asked my pcp for an appt to get a scope.  MY last one was 1998 and no issues but....like I said, its driving me crazy. 

I didn't know I had been constantly clearing my throat till my african grey started to mimic me and my grandaughter says..oh that's what Nana does..skylar sounds just like you Nana.   LOL  Good grief...so people have noticed..not just me. 

Good luck..I know you'll find alot more people dealing with what you're dealing with...its really common.  Will keep you posted after my EGD. 

Paula

You know the WORST of the WORST of the WORST problem.

NO ONE BELIEVES ME !!!

Not my parents, not my DOCTOR, not the SPECIALISTS, simply no one ???

My parents always ground me whenever I attempt to clear my throat (sucking the mucas therefore making noises).

I understand that My sister and my Parents are totally fed up of my noises. BUT ITS REAL. I beg them to believe but no help. This problem is ruining my LIFE!

AND NO ON GIVES A DAMN!

I'm sorry if I'm mad right now, but those who also suffer this exact problem will understand me, no one else.

I try convincing my butt of to the DOCTORS, ENT specialists, but no help.

What the hell should I do?

do you go to school? Talk to the school nurse. Maybe an appt to see your pcp and see if they can schedule a scope to see what's going on. Its real alright. I know if you go on alot of boards, medhelp, healthshare, you'll see it all over the place. Sorry its been bothering you. Maybe an EGD may help... I would talk to the school nurse or get a recommendation to speak with someone. How old are you? Sometimes this happens as you become old...err..more mature..but I know it can also happen when you're young. You can check out some topics on this and print them out for your parents to see. Its miserable, I know. Good luck.

I believe you, I have the same problem.Iays in the bak of mr throat,I can feel it but until I get up I don't have to.I cough.Once I get up, I cough, gag,spit for most of the morning. Two years ago I had an infection in my sinuses, staff, fungus and went through 27 antibiotics .i don't have any solutions, although I have been trying ice water with a slice of lime and lemon. It seems to help a little bit. .

I was having a very similar problem. I was told to take mucinex. It helped some but I needed it in a larger and more powerful dosages. I bought a no name brand of the medicine in mucinex--guaifensen. I took 400mg every four hours. It helped a good bit. But then I found on line a homeopathic medicine called SinusWars2. I read the reviews on

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

concerning this medicine. Some people said it helped very much and some said it didn't help at all. Since it helped some people I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did. I have just about quit taking the guaifensen. So,from my experience, I'd suggest that you give this medicine a try. SinusWars2

I have replied to similar posting so I apologize if this is redundant.

I’ve been reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I currently take 3 capsules 2X daily] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 80% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure but I still use Flonase. So thanks to another on-line posting, I’m trying Quercetin which you can find in the health food/vitamin store.  So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works. Do your own research on this topic. The Doc’s have limited understanding of the condition. Check out Dr. Mark Stengler [you can Google him]. Good luck.

Hello MAgamer,

I have the same issue, but it just popped up a few months ago. I've yet to be able to do this myself because of money issues, but I'd suggest checking your area for a Doctor of Osteopathy. These doctors have the same training as Doctors of Medicine, plus additional training in identifying and treating conditions through a more comprehensive process than DoM's -- basically they look at everything about the patient including previous medical conditions, emotional patterns, psychology.

It's more of a treatment of the whole person rather than treating JUST the symptoms, and they are less likely to prescribe a plethora of medications that help the symptom instead of solving the problem.

I have the same problem, I feel like i want to throw all the time up because the mucus is at the back of my throat and iv got to snort it out and cough it up to feel any better.. it affects my breathing when im laying down and it also affects me every morning when i brush my teeth.. once its clear i feel right as rain, until it comes back again the next morning..

i have the same thing, no help anywhere

I am having a problem that I am constantly having thick mucus in my mouth , feels slimy all the time and has affected my taste. I always taste salt and no how many times I swallow I still have it . Its disgusting and driving me crazy.Wish someone had the answer ...Its really bad for me..

I've got it too:(( ever since I had my tonsils and adenoids out its done it and my sister says the same thing. I'm a singer so it really stinks cuz it gets in the way of my voice sometimes and it's bad for your throat to constantly clear it. My doctor said I have a short soft palate and its causing problems. Se said to talk to my voice teacher but she had no idea what to do. I've tried Claritin and it did nothing for it so I know it's not mainly allergies. Any help at all would be appreciated.

I have had sinus wars like the rest, cough to clear got so bad they thought it might be asthma. I do the nose rinse, changed out milk products, etc with only minor improvement. What did help was 6 months of hatha yoga. It realigned my neck and shoulders so it seemed like the drainage went down the right tube instead of pooling where I breathe. I am not a yoga type body for sure but the hatha style focuses on where you are at so I did what I could and modified a lot  but it gave me my breathing, fixed the drainage issue for the time that I did it. 

ive got the same problem and am going to see an ent specialist tomorrow, try menthol eucalyptus airwaves gum, it helps sooth my throat, and mix honey with apple cider vinegar & cayan pepper, and stay well well well away from coffee, it makes it so much worse, try chicory with a pinch of ginger powder as a substitute, but ive been worried its asthma but maybe not, i gave up smoking 4 years ago, so not sure, i did have an ear infection last year that has brought on chronic sinusitis so the cough maybe post nasal drip from that, but the sinusitis makes me anxious coz im claustrophobic, so there is a chance that the cough is just psychological but i well relate to you coz it feels so real, so if it is just in your head, try aromatherapy & acupuncture to help you relax :) i hope ive helped coz i know and understand how this makes you feel so sh*t! i get vertigo with mine, thats horrible, good luck! ;)

Same problem, glad I am not alone. Mine has been for the last 13 years, so been on depression pills for this also. Have seen every kind of doctor, taken every kind of allergy, sinus, acid reflux, nose spray, inhaler, steroid and they were no help. Even had camera in lungs, nothing. Last test of all was CT Scan of lungs, nothing. So I have officially given up, depressed and on depression pills again. It has ruined my life, I deal with it, and I pray it will go away, but not taking anymore test because everything comes back negative. It is not in my head. Thick mucas I spit up everyday, sometimes I have to take Benzonatate pills (Tessalon Perles) they are a prescription med so you have to get your doctor to prescribe, this does help a lot. So for people out there this is the only thing that helps but you get immune to it and have to get off for awhile and then back on. Hope this helps some of you.