MY sister had laproscopic gall bladder removal Friday 2/13. She is a 30 year old female and went in electively. After the surgery she was vomiting, had a slight fever and her resting heart rate was approx 100. She also had an elevated white blood count. They decided to keep her in the hospital after the surgery to "keep an eye on her" on Sunday they said her white blood count was trending down and the doctor discharged her 2/15. The next couple of days she was having pain in her chest and shoulders and still vomiting occasionally. They told her to walk around and that they would see her the following monday 2/23. By the time wednesday night came around, she was vomiting a sip of water and it was non stop. So Thursday 2/19 she called the doc and they got back to her in the afternoon and said to get into the doctors office. As soon as she got there the doctor said she needs to go to the ER right away. Once she got into the ER they did a CT scan which showed "a liquid" building up in her upper abdominal cavity. The following morning 2/20 the did an ERCP to determine if something was leaking but found no leaks of the bile duct/stump. They then took her radiology where they wanted to find out what type of "fluid" it was, and it wound up being bile, which they took out over 800 cc's and put in a ball drain. After they drained out the bile they kept her under observation until Tuesday 2/24 where they performed another ERCP and put a stent in. She vomited and could feel the stent, and the bile continued to leak. They they said they need to do a sphincterotomoy two days later 2/26- which they said would clear the problem. She continued to leak bile and they wanted to watch the drain. It is still leaking on monday 3/2 they took another x-ray to make sure everything was in place and it is. Then she suggested to the doc the drain may be stopping the bile from going where it needed to go and they took the ball off the drain (which apparently should not of been there the entire time) but now it is 3/3 and she is still leaking. On top of that her resting heart rate is elevated still to about 100 so they out her on Lupressor and coumadin because her platelete count is getting high and they dont want her to get clots. They finally took her off the antibiotics (and her her lung partially collapsed from the original bile filling into her chest). Our entire family is torn and we just don't know where to go from here. They pretty much told us they will release her with the drain and if after a prolonged amount of time (weeks) and the bile doesn't stop leaking they may have to go in and perform surgery. If anyone can give me any advice or suggestions it would be much appreciated. I apologize for my spelling of these procedures/drugs.

I should add that after they drained the bile, and preformed the second ERCP they did indeed confirm that it was the cystic duct leaking, and they didn't catch he leak the first time because all the bile was back up. And they did an ink test on 2/22 to determine where the leak was coming from.

you need to see a different doctor or surgeon, dont let her go another month with this. get a copy of the surgery report!!! after all surgery the doctors dictate the procedure.

Please let me know what you did. My daughter had gull bladder surgery and after 48 hrs of throwing up and severe pain,her husband took her to the ER. She had to get beligerant with them because they said it was gas. She just had surgery to fix the duct and they may have to do another one to remove the bile. Was this a botched surgery or not. I really don't know. The doctor kept telling my son in law he didn't do anything wrong, which makes me question it.

Guest wrote:

Oh wow, where do I BEGIN. In 2008 I had gallbladder surgery aswell. Right out of surgery I complained of HORRIBLE pain. Doctors pretty much pushed me out saying it was simply the gas they fill you up with and to go home and walk around. To make this as short as I can, I SUFFERED for two weeks while calling the surgeons and telling them my pain and vomiting were intolerable. They kept giving me the "its the gas, it's my bowels" And finally after TWO WEEKS of horrible pain and constant vomiting I go to the local ER to find "fluid" in my abdomen. A bile leak. The ER calls the surgeon, who tells me to go home and see him in the morning. It was late, like 2am late. The ER doctors tell me "No, you go to the ER you had the surgery in because I could die at this point, since the bile had been in there so long. After two years of pain and eating troubles and bowels problems and doctors NOT believing me, that two week long bile leak has now led me to Chronic Pancreatitis. The doctors now try to say my pancreas "Could've been damaged a little before the bile leak" and the bile made it worse. But I know that bile leak is what damaged my pancreas, if that surgeon would've believe me and called me in for testing the first time I complained, If the doctors and nurses after surgery would've done tests before I left, scans SOMETHING.....I may not be sitting here now, 2012 with a feeding tube in my stomach unable to eat, still in HORRIBLE pain.....If only they believed me....... That's my story on bile leaks after gallbladder surgery~ 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

i have the same problem  bile leak for two week . and now 9 month from the gall bladder surgery i have severe pain 

i need to know are you find any solution and how old are you and why you you feeding tube in your stomach .

hi had a gall blader removed, was sent home collapsed few hours later taken back into surgery my doctor said he had cut my duct stiched me up and not noticed the bile leaked into my lungs i had a drain put in that did not work i was in hospital for 18 days i stll have pain in my right lung , will there be lasting damage need to know what has happend to  me, i still get pain when i take a deap breath, does any one know what the worst sinario is thanks

Yes I had 2 ercp removal of my gallstones in the same week I went Tuesdays and Thursday and the 2nd one was more painful than the first but about amonth later I finally got the gallbladder removed and the sergon aparently did not tell us I had some bleeding in my liver and had some venous oozing. After gallbladder was taken out he fixed problem but was never told I just got a copy of my records and saw it. My sergon s office closed down. And I am acouple months from my sergary and I still am in pain on my right side . My symptoms are nausa and I get light headed from time to time and pain in my right side I can bearly lean on that side with out alit of pain it feels like something is pulling from front and back . Can't believe this is going on I had a c-section before all this issues about gallbladder and stones came up I was only about a couple weeks then had the 2 ercps then the gallbladder removal. Has anyone had these same issues. Need help another doctor would not see me until I got my records so now I have them but I have to wait to go so can anyone helpme out what to do.