I'm pretty sure that the raised bumps I have on the back of my tonuge is circumvallate papillae. I've had the bumps for almost two months now. How long do they take to go away? is there anything i can do to speed up the process?

Hello Kiley,

These V shaped structures house your tastebuds.  Any kind of tongue lesion or infection can cause problems.  The only thing you can do is to try to keep the area clean and consider rinsing with a good mouthwash.  If no further irritation occurs I've always found that they go away within a couple of weeks.  Some people are acutally plagued by these and can have them for long periods of time.  Moreover, they can recurr.  As to why this can happen, I don't think is well understood.  It's easy to distrub these taste buds and of course bacteria and cellular  debris can build up around them.  This just leaves them open to infection.  Again, try a good quality mouthwash.

I'm curious to know of the outcome of your raised papillae. I have had the same thing for approximately 2 months and it freaks me out! Thanks,
Rob

I have this problem for three weeks approximately. I feel anxious. What is the remedy?

I have the same thing. I initially scraped the back of my tongue with a tongue scraper. It’s only one side that is raised and I’m obsessing over it. I have put so much salt and baking soda in my mouth that my tongue now tingles forever after I brush my teeth . My mouth is so dry probably from all the salt and baking soda rinses so I’m probably agitating it more . Have you tried any remedies?