Hi all, I'm new here.

I recently felt something strange in my mouth, like I have a popcorn husk stuck on the right side of my tongue. I looked in the mirror today, and there is a bump there. It's not hard, and it looks the same color as everything else in my mouth, but it's most definitely swollen. Naturally, I freaked out, being that I'm a smoker and all. After panicking, I did a search for mouth anatomy. At first I thought it was swollen circumvallate papillae, but they're not located on the SIDE of the tongue. So then I found the photo below, and where the arrow points to the lingual tonsil is where my lump/bump is.

I don't have any swelling on the left side. My question is, what would cause this, has anyone had experience with this, and what do I do to fix it? It's sore too. It kind of feels like it's rubbed raw or something.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi there, I think that some people just have a spot there and if it's not normally there then it could be a canker sore. I'm not totally sure what it is but if you are concerned about it then you should have a doctor look at it. Chances are it's just a sore, but it can't hurt to have it checked. What do you think?

Thank you so much for your response! I want to make an appt, but I'm not sure if I should call my dentist or my GP. I'll have to have a referral for an ENT, and probably for an oral surgeon as well.

What are the symptoms of a canker sore, and what can I do in the meantime (in case it is a canker sore)?

I think that you'd be okay with either, although your GP will have more resources. The dentist won't really be able to do anything as far as I can tell. If you have a canker sore, you have to wait it out unfortunately. Salt helps but MAN does it hurt. Do you have any Anbesol?

Hello there,

I have the same symptom with my tongue, I've seen many doctors including specialists, none took it seriously. What did you find out?

Thanks

I now can't turn my tongue to one side. It started like you describe. It's been over a year. I know have bleeding ulcers in my throat and one forming on the other side of my tongue. I have been referred to an ENT because my GP is concerned it may be oral cancer. If it is I had it for over a year now and am probably in later stages