Hello. I'm 29 year old mother and I'm pretty worried for my little son who is 7 years old. About a month ago I have noticed that has some kind of marks on his tongue. I didn’t consider this to be anything important and I didn’t pay too much attention on.
I was sure it will disappear but it self. Yesterday when I spotted these spots on his tongue again I become worried. I didn’t know anything about this and that’s why-the only solution was taking him to see hi doctor. After just one look, doctor told me that she probably suffers from some condition called geographic tongue and that we should wait for few days to be sure. What kind of condition this really is and should I be worried about this? Please help!

Hi. I totally understand why you are worried about this. I was also when I heard that I have developed this condition. Reading about hundred books about this made me think that this isn’t anything more than simple esthetic problem. The medical term is 'benign migratory glossitis”.
The tongue serves as an organ of taste, with taste buds scattered over its surface and concentrated toward the back of the tongue. There are several types of these taste buds.
What happens is that the filiform taste buds or papillae -little tongue hairs which make portions of the tongue appear white, slough off in some individuals, leaving the splotchy looking spots. I know that this might sound scary to you but this has no effects on taste sense and cause no other problems in life.